mattz196

Musicians Friend Advert

This was alluded to on another thread ,wondering if it is in the sites financial interest if we actually click on the ad link for MusiciansFriend, and if so maybe we could all be encouraged to click away. Call me strange but I used to enjoy checking out the "stupid deal of the day" ad the was on the home page before the update and if a few cents had found their way into your coffers I would enjoy it even more :yes:

I read that other thread too Matt... but no, unfortunately clicking on the MF ad doesn't pay us anything. If you buy something from their online store (within a certain amount of days), we make a commission from the sale... but that happens very rarely. Funny, since we have over 35,000 members who are into guitars... but MF is aimed at US buyers so really it's not much good to anyone living outside the US, but it still surprises me.

We used to have some other ads on here that were pay per click, but it is against the terms of use for us to encourage anyone to click on those ads. We would end up having our account suspended if we were found to encourage that or even if there is suspicion of false clicks.... I haven't put those back on after the revamp as our members seem to not want to click out of our forum. They want to stay here!!! Damn it. :) The other problem is that with adblockers, most of these kinds of ads are blocked anyway. I know many people use adblockers and for the user they are great, unfortunately the downside is that they will probably be one of the reasons free sites are less and less common. Most sites rely on these ads to survive.

That's the problem with having a sticky site, people visit but they don't want to leave. It's much more profitable (strangely enough) to have a site that people want to leave and will leave via a link.

We could have opted to use pop-unders and other offensive types of ads (adult, pharmacy, dating) that do pay per impression (every time a page is loaded) and pay very well - but this is not what we want for this site.

PlaneTalk sales and donations pay for the running costs of this site.

Clancy

Thanks Clancy and Kirk never new how these type of ads generated revenue on the net to people such as yourselves my understanding of the way web sites make money is non existant. I am curious by nature and trust my queeries were not too instrusive. As a small business owner the way other small businesses operate I find very interesting.

I'm sure no one like pop up type adverts and I for one am very pleased that you don't have them.:clap:

As for it being beneficial in having a site that people want to leave you have got me thinking about a new career as I am sure that I would have the talent to create a host of sites that no one wanted to stay in, just not sure how to get them to visit in the first instance.;)

Not too intrusive at all Matt. We always try to be as transparent as possible here as to how we run forum.

I am sure that I would have the talent to create a host of sites that no one wanted to stay in, just not sure how to get them to visit in the first instance.;)

If you knew that you'd be a rich man. ;)

Clancy

So I wonder if you'll be getting any commission off of my occasional cord or strap purchase I make through MF? I had an account prior to discovering this fine site, and occasionally go there through links from the home page here (Stupid deal of the day).

FYI I would use a SDotD (Stupid Deal of the Day) link if it were in the forums... and especially if it meant any referral commission went to a worthy goal. Opening in a new tab or window of course...

Not sure how that slipped my mind last time I checked the thread you posted about forums changes... :dunno:

I don't know Dewy, maybe. We don't get details on what was bought. If you clicked through from one of our MF links here and bought within a couple of days we may have. If we did, thanks! Having said that, it may be that because you already have an account there it doesn't count.

By the way, I put the "Stupid Deal of the Day" banner back on.

Cheers

Clancy