Plane Talk package

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

Has anyone got Kirks' Plane talk package?
The fact that it's not for beginners is a bit worrying, how much do I need to know?
I seem to fit with the description of someone 'stuck on a plateau' and I'd love to learn more. Problem is I have no music training behind me at all, I struggle with tabs. Though I'm beginning to understand them I still have a tendancy to fall back on my tried and trusted method of closely watching fingers on frets! Music notation may as well be in chinese and I have a tough time following the lessons here.
If you're a user of Kirks package, do you think it would be a good buy for me?

thanks,

John

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

It is not based on your ability to read standard or tabs so that won't be a problem. It is great for tearing apart tabs so that you see the underlying reasoning for the note choices so it may help you understand tabs a bit more. Your playing skills seem to be equal to it. I would say you would benefit from it. I did and I'm dyslexic.

#3 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,000 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

allthumbs said:

It is not based on your ability to read standard or tabs so that won't be a problem. .

There's no music notation or tab in the book.
You should know how to play the basic chords A,C,D,E & G.
& you should understand how the guitar is tuned, not necessarily be and expert at tuning it.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#4 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

Jomi said:

Has anyone got Kirks' Plane talk package?
The fact that it's not for beginners is a bit worrying, how much do I need to know?
I seem to fit with the description of someone 'stuck on a plateau' and I'd love to learn more. Problem is I have no music training behind me at all, I struggle with tabs. Though I'm beginning to understand them I still have a tendancy to fall back on my tried and trusted method of closely watching fingers on frets! Music notation may as well be in chinese and I have a tough time following the lessons here.

thanks,

John

Jomi--

You're gonna love the package. The material isn't based on musical theory knowledge other than the basics of music theory and how that ties in to the fretboard. The rest of it is based on a mechanical understanding of the fretboard in a method that's easily communicated. I don't know where you're at with the six string, but I think you can benefit from PT if you've been on a plateau for a while. The info there is going to help you see the fretboard while a lightbulb is going off in your mind.

Your info says you've been playing for over 10 years, is this correct? Then you'll love this and be ready for this. In case that's a mistake, the info will still be very enlightening for you down the road.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#5 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Jomi,

You have no idea on what your missing. Plus this to what everyone has said. If you haven't read the testimonials, then go there for awhile. We cannot give you the details but it is outstanding. Nothing on the planet comes close to these DVD Plane Talk lessons.

eddiez
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#6 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thank you all for the input, I'm more comfortable with the idea of buying it now.

Steve, I started over 30 years ago, and I loved it, played in one or two folk clubs then I met my ex-wife and everything changed. There's really been a 20 year gap of hardly touching my guitars, and now that I'm playing again I started with the songs I already knew, I've learned a few more songs but feel trapped on the bottom 4 frets - well - I'm beginning to break out now. Surprisingly I use more of the fretboard when in DADGAD.
Writing my own songs is completely new to me, I had to, so that I could post here, posting here was very important for me as I can't get past that hurdle of singing in front of people.

#7 OFFLINE   eCowboy

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

Jomi, you are way too modest. I listened to "Hug me like you care" and "When I close my eyes" again after reading this post to see if I missed something the first time that I heard them and you have nothing to fear about singing or playing in front of people. If I can get just as good as you are at this point in my playing and singing I will consider my venture a great success.
"If you spend all of your time trying to get even, you will never get ahead!"

#8 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

Jomi,
DADGAD is good too. But the other is convential, the lessons will show you the way.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#9 OFFLINE   coldethyl

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,729 posts
  • Joined 15-November 05

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

Jomi said:

thanks,

John

I would certainly recommend Plane Talk to you if you feel you've reached a brick wall (so to speak) in your playing.

For me, Plane Talk opened new doors to my guitar playing that I hadn't really thought about before and helped take me to the next level.
"Good Music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and quits the memory with difficulty" Thomas Beecham

#10 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

I thought that I'd re-visit this thread since I've had PlaneTalk for more than a year now.
I've read the book several times, it's a very easy read and I seem to find something new each time. It has given me a terrific insight into how the guitar, music and chords work.
My personal problem was failure to practice enough, so I didn't get the most out of it, although I never regretted the purchase purely because of the knowledge!

A while ago, some of the people at the music club I go to had told me to bring along my guitar and just join in with others, I can't bring myself to sing in public yet but I thought I'd give this a try.
I'd just been following the music with chords but noticed that other players were doing other things which enhanced the overall sound, suddenly the lightbulb came on and PlaneTalk has a whole new meaning. I play there regularly now and I enjoy the joining in tremendously. I'm a long way from proficient and I still can't talk in terms of roman numerals but I have the tools and the guide to get there, and just important, I have the desire. Occasionally I even get the key right without anyone telling me!!
For the price of a couple of lessons PlaneTalk is great value and unlike lessons you can keep referring to it. Now it's my turn to recommend it to guitar players, even if you're an absolute beginner you'll gain from using this book and DVD.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

#11 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,239 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the update, Jomi, I'm so glad the PT mindset is beginning to kick in for you. Just keep thinking about it all and applying it as often as you can -- measure everything against that backdrop -- and you'll see just how subliminally powerful it becomes.

#12 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Jomi,
If I had your voice I would never be worried about singing in public. I understand it is a personal comfort matter, but take it from me you have some great pipes and a very special emotion that comes through with your playing and singing.

#13 OFFLINE   D-Dawn

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

Yeah no kidding!
Even my 16 year old son likes your songs, and he doesn't like anything!! ;) I understand even so; I posted a recording and was nearly ill that others were hearing my voice!
If everything has a point, well then I must have one, too.
♥Yamaha LL-6♥

#14 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,249 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Glad to hear you are playing with friends - and enjoying it! I have the same problem with not practicing enough, but other things always seem to get in the way - poor excuse I know but as of tomorrow I will start making time for daily practice.... again. I'll start by re-reading PlaneTalk right now and I won't let anyone or anything interupt me. :unsure:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users