solidwalnut

New Lesson: Pick Control Challenge

I guess thats been my "secret" all these years. I always saw it as a disability I overcome.

The way it works for me, I could never hold the pick still... it rotates and spins of its own free will. At some point I became more comfortable using the two "blunter" ends of a guitar pick, giving me a 33% chance of the pick rotating into a "comfortable" playing position... and leading me to my self taught "pinch harmonic" style.

Of course as I continued to play I developed the ability to rotate the pick around by feel and choose my pick "point", and often spin it for the "sharp" point out to strum, and blunt point for most electric work and "soloing". I never associated that with a pick-drop prevention technique... but now that you mention it I've dropped 2 picks while playing in 16 years... the rest I lose after setting them down somewhere.

I also cackled to myself upon seeing the accompanying lesson about "tucking" the pick between fingers for later use. Another one of my "defects" I have turned into advantage. After punching the mic stand that holds my picks a couple of hundred times, I just adapted to tucking it between index and "bird" finger... and recently laughed at myself until I hurt.

Learning the intro part to the song Broken by Seether (featuring Amy Lee) I had the greatest difficulty... simple little picking pattern, and I screwed it everyway possible when trying to get it. Then gave up said, "fingers will figure it out, need to learn the rest of the song", and proceeded to "tuck" my pick (without a second though) upon coming out of the first chorus and haven't missed it since.

Somehow pinning that index down and using the "bird" finger worked... and I never would have figured that out by "thinking it through".

Sometimes... it isn't my ability to play a guitar that gets me through... its my sub-conscious that really makes the breakthroughs.

Great lesson Steve, that helped with dropping the pick but now one of my fingers dropped into the sound hole.:brickwall:

Ummmmm....Finger Control Challenge lesson?? Can't help ya with that one :punk::excl::rockon::surrender

I went and bought new picks for me and the kids to use -the ones provided in the kit were huge . I got some called Snarling Dog Brain Picks ,12 in a metal slide top case- have some kind of texture molded into them. Purple , thin/medium I think.

Good exercise, Steve.I don't have much problem with dropping picks , but once in a while ,it feels like I just can't get a comfortable grip on it .This would serve as another warmup routine:winkthumb: