AeroHudson

Electric Acoustic or Acoustic??

ahh, a cedar top. those have a very distinctly different flavor to my ear.

good to hear that you were able to sample a number of guitars and found that one spoke to you.

now tell us about the "feel"

AeroHudson    0

The feel, from a beginner's perspective was great. Very easy to get solid chords with minimal pressure. Much different than the old stratocaster that I am learning on right now. Without getting into too much detail it just felt..."right".

I am saving up right now and plan on visiting the store again today with a friend. I should have enough greenbacks saved up here in a couple of weeks for a guitar and a hard case. It will be hell waiting for 3 to 4 weeks but oh well...that's how it goes.

AeroHudson    0

I've been doing some additional research on cedar topped guitars. I have some additional questions...

- This model does not have a pick guard. Is this a bad thing and if so should I / can I get one installed on the guitar without damaging the sound or structure of it?

- I have read that cedar topped guitars can make picking somewhat "muddy". In other words, these kind of guitars resonate longer and as a result sounds tend to blend together which can be a drawback depending on the type of playing someone partakes in. Any thoughts on this?

- Are cedar top guitars good for beginners based on the items above or any other experience folks have had.

Man, picking out the right guitar is turning into a complex process. ;)

Dewy    0

Nope, trust your instincts and its easy.

The Cedar has a distinctive tone, not better or worse, just different.

Pickguards are optional in my opinion, unless you choose brass picks. :yes:

personally i would get a pickguard for a cedar topped guitar because i strum a lot and cedar is a bit softer than spruce.

i don't believe it will affect the sound much if at all.

i don't agree that finger picking a cedar top results in a muddier tone, in my experiance it's tended to be the opposite, maybe a slightly richer lower end but not muddy imo.

AeroHudson    0

Thanks again guys! I am assuming that guitar center can install a pick guard when I buy a guitar, correct?

It's good to know that although a cedar top has a distinctive tone that it does not impact the clarity of the distinct notes being played. Being a newb and only being able to strum a few distinct chords it was hard fro me to tell if sounds were running into each other.

allthumbs    8

You might want to consider putting that axe on layaway. There is no guarantee that the that guitar won't get sold out from under you. There can be a huge variation of quality in the same brand of guitar. There is no guarantee that the next one they get in will be as good as the one you tried.

D-Dawn    0

X2 AT- I have bought a few that were "right out of the box" don't make that mistake! Buy the one you play...you could have 100 of the same model and they'd all sound different.

AeroHudson    0

Good suggestion on play the one I buy! I will absolutely do that when I am ready to make the purchase. On a side note I am very glad that I waited to buy and have not made an "impulse" purchase. As a result I have learned so much about what the guitar selection process should look like and that you have to be careful and select the guitar that is right for you.

Give me a bottom line assessment here...would it be a bad idea for a guitar newb to go with a cedar top? Are they more difficult to care for or any other factors that a newb should shy away from? I may seem very anal here but I just want to make sure I pick a guitar that will last me at least a few years and I can finger pick and strum effectively on the instrument I do get.

I am afraid to spend $300 + and end up making a mistake in the selection. The only definites right now are I want a dreadnought, steel stringed guitar with a solid top of some type.

Again, thanks to everyone for the thoughts and your patience with a beginner. Everyone has been great!

D-Dawn    0

Give me a bottom line assessment here...would it be a bad idea for a guitar newb to go with a cedar top? Are they more difficult to care for or any other factors that a newb should shy away from? I may seem very anal here but I just want to make sure I pick a guitar that will last me at least a few years and I can finger pick and strum effectively on the instrument I do get.

I am afraid to spend $300 + and end up making a mistake in the selection. The only definites right now are I want a dreadnought, steel stringed guitar with a solid top of some type.

I don't see any problem with it...I like the sound of a cedar top..and they look Oh So Purty!! :) I got lucky. The place I used to buy from would give me 30 days to decide wether I liked the guitar or not...if I didn't, I could trade it in on another.

AeroHudson    0

Just found a great article on tonewoods and how they differ from one another from an experienced guitar maker. Great read!

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm

From the cedar topped perspective, here are the key things I took from it.

- Cedar topped guitars have a bit less projection than their spruce topped cousins.

- The break in period for cedar is shorter than that of spruces.

- Their forte is the bass / bottom end range but can lose a bit of clarity in the higher ranges.

- Cedars tone is lush, somewhat darker but bursting with flavor which is what I may have touched on when I first played one yesterday.

Here is something I don't understand...

- "It has a quickness of sound that exceeds any of the spruces, a higher overtone content, lower fundamental content, and lower stiffness along the grain."

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Stratrat    0
...Any thoughts on this?

Yep....it sounds like cork-sniffing to me. All that talk about "quickness of sound", "higher overtone content", "lower fundamental content" and the like sounds more like wine tasting than guitar playing. Like D-Dawn said, if the guitar sounds good to you, play it! :)

AeroHudson    0
Yep....it sounds like cork-sniffing to me. All that talk about "quickness of sound", "higher overtone content", "lower fundamental content" and the like sounds more like wine tasting than guitar playing. Like D-Dawn said, if the guitar sounds good to you, play it! :)

More than likley I am just overthinking this a bit which is weird for me because I am all about impulse buying. :yeahhh: Guess I am just a bit concerned about making a mistake on my first guitar purchase.

Good rule of thumb...if it sounds good and it is in my price range buy it!! :)