Clancy

Chat room? Yes or no?

Would you use a chat room here on this forum?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you use a chat room here on this forum?

WernHalen    0

Hey, Thats interresting I was first to Vote... I guess it would be a good idea. It might lead to problems on the board in the long run though... Giving people that amount of freedom might make the forum less friendly. One of the main reasons why I am sticking to this one...

jimbo    0

hi

I voted yes however I have never used a live chat room and am unaware of any problems it may cause, I think this site is fantastic as it is and would not like to see anything spoil it.

allthumbs    8

Chatrooms can stir up some pretty uncivil behaviour. Impossible to monitor and can be a teck nightmare to get running smoothly. I guess you can tell how I voted.LOL

i agree with allthumbs, when i first got into computers i tried chat rooms a couple times and that was enough for me, never went back, i like the site the way it is, u can post ur opinion and read other opinions, without any problems

justinthyme    3

I don't subscribe to the 'it'll be trouble because ppl can't behave themselves, so don't do it' idea.

I would venture that most of us who are members of this forum are fairly mature in our thinking and behaviour. Certainly we share a keen interest in learning about guitar and furthering our playing abilities.

There are often lots of people online at any one time here - people with potentially a lot to share. As in any arena of polite conversation, steer away from the contentious subjects (we all know what they are) and you'll be fine. You can't legislate against disagreement, of course - its bound to occur, and does. But that's life.

The tone of this forum is set from the top and is polite and helpful, in the main. I believe chat should be given a chance to be the same. The idea of limiting it to members is a fair one, I think.

If folks don't want to participate in chat, that's fine - your call. But you *may* just be missing out on a great opportunity to discuss your and my favourite subject (or one of them, anyway) with a whole lot of others interested in exactly the same thing. After all, its just talking to your fellow humans via a computer rather than say, on the phone. Immediate response and flow of ideas - what's wrong with that?

Try it - if it causes more problems than its worth, dump it.

Just my two cents ...

Andy S    9

I think if I tried to use it, I would just jinx it!! :clown:

Seems like I have tried several chat rooms over the last three years. The indication was that someone else was already in the chatroom, but no one ever responded to any of my questions HA! :laugh: I guess either no one was actually in there, or they thought my questions were stupid or insignificant. :stupid:

I had originally marked "depending on who was in the chatroom", but now that I really think about it....I doubt I would use it. No special reason. (maybe a fear of mispelling something?) :rolleyes:

Just my .02 worth

mcollett    0

If it doesn't bring anything to the table then it's a waste of time. From what I've seen you get answers to questions within 24 hour at the outside. I've only posted a few thoughts and questions and I've even gotten responces withing minutes.

My vote will be to not dump unneeded duties and unforseen stress on Clancy.

Mike

Alfcarguy    0

Strick rules set about chat room any trouble makers there off the site for GOOD. Not to hard to get there IP address and boot them forever. Locked out never coming back see you never again.

I've seen my buddy do it to people wanting to start some ordeals, But his is alittle different site (Clancy knows what I mean ) that he Admins or really he's doing it all now it seems cause he's buddy's with the guy thats putting up the site.

But I say strick enforcement if a chat room is made. Cause at one time I was to talking with Jean and I know a chat room would have made it alot easier, and the stuff I didn't want people to know about I PM him anyways.

I've Yahoo'd before in there listening rooms, where you hear people playing and it was out of control. People coming in speaking about Hitler and that its all about white power and you couldn't do anything about what people say, or there actions.

But like I have said before this site is one of the un drama sites I have been too, and I like that. But thats not the only thing I like about it though :drool:

:D Okay I might took it alittle to far, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Lcjones    8

hmmm,

aye. justin pretty well summed it up. one alternative to having an open chat, and by open i mean 24x7x365 chat, is to have 'registered chats' on lessons. most general, and sometimes technical, questions will be asked directly in the forum.

in other words, have a specific time set for an interactive chat on a specific subject. that may narrow the field down, however, if it's by registration, then either the audience will be there or not ... but you'll know in advance if the session is a go or not.

with that said and knowing this is an international forum covering a multitude of world time zones, not everyone will be able to attend some sessions. however, if a transcript is made available after the fact, then it most certainly would be a benefit.

les

Clan Rickenbacker

Clan Motto - "It ain't got that swing if it ain't got that ring"

Clan Badge - 360/12V64 FireGlo Rampant on field Azure

lorirocks    1

I would use it. I love to chat. I have Yahoo and use that to Instant Message with members from another forum. I've made a lot of friends that way. We keep in touch on a regular basis.

Then again, I'm a very chatty person. :D

So, yes, I would use it as long as it doesn't get too immature.

Bigred1951    0

I agree. As long as it was limited to members. So far, I really have enjoyed the comments, suggestions, and overwhelmingly positive attitude. If a member gets out of hand...boom...gone. There have been times I have had a problem with guitar etc. that a quick question in a chat room could probably resolve quickly.

nagukush    0

Hi Clancy

I think the chat facility would be of great use, that is if everyone uses it properly and professionally. We are already getting benefitted from knowledge and friendship of each other and this would be just another way to improve even more !!!:)

Though i joined the forum a few months back, i have started using it only 3 days back. and within these 3 days i have learnt a lot and met many friendly people. As far as i feel, the people here are very professional and helpful and hence there should be no problem in it.

These were my personal ideas, anyways thanx for the wonderful forum !!!:thumbup1:

Kind Regds

Kush

PickNGrin    0

In some other forums I visit -we'll periodically meet in out Pal-Talk room. We all have loaded Pal-Talk Voice / Video chat software -its free, and we'll all meet at a certain time. With voice / video chat -we can take turns playing guitar licks back and forth! You can HEAR! and even SEE if you use a camera.

guitar:babe    0

i wouldn't use it..its easy enough to post a thread and its easier to keep track of who said what becasue you can always look back on it.....plus my guess would be that subjects would get changed and the sight wouldnt be as helpful to guitar begginers..well not on the chat rooms anyway...i voted no.

I would love to use it for sure. cause it would be insighful and would cut down on the waiting time needed to get question answered.

from other websites i have joined like D.O.A (Demons of Armegedon its was for a online game called diablo2) we used chats to get keep in contact and ask questions. also tips and hints and stuff.

Also we used it to hold meetings to discuss stuff that needed discussion like how to improve the website like we are all doingright now. and since it was international we would then summon up the meeting to a couple of paragraphs for the other world to read in a thread.

anyways if you decide to do it i might be able to show ya some tricks on to keep it in order and all that so nothing gets out of hand.:)

joehere1    0

i never looked at it that way so i see it could have some benefits aswell,but from what i can see here its a big step and hopefully a good one if you decide to go for it

joe

nagukush    0

Hey Joe , i was just about to get to this thread and suggest the same thing !!! Seems great people think the same ????;)

Yes it would be really useful, so far , i feel everyone is professional and focussed enough, and i dont see there could be any probs. Any plans on this clancy ?

Clancy    36

Yes Kush, I've just put it on the back-burner for now though. There are a few other things I'd like to add to the forum before this.... Bear with me.

Clancy