knight46

Squier '51 Blem

On a cheapy squire, blems are really a non issue. More important is fret sprout on the neck. If the blem bothers you, strip it and repaint. It would make a good project guitar.

imo the 51 is a great deal reguardless of a blemish or 2, i've actually been playing mine about 3-1 over my US strat deluxe since i got it a few months back.

check these mods out

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=891

also check these guys for everything you need to customize your 51

http://store.guitarfetish.com/festbr.html

Well it's funny how things work out. After missing the Squire 51 Blem I ordered a Fullerton Strat from Music123 similar to the one that Fly135 found and posted. Since I still needed an amp I decided to go to the local GC Friday night and take a look.

As soon as I walked in the first guitar I saw was a Squire 51 on the rack for $90.00 (serious case of GAS). Long story short I now have a Strat in shipment and a '51 at the house. I also picked up a Fender Frountman 15 watt amp.:yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:

I love it when a plan comes together:clap: ...now I just have to convince my wife why I need two electric's and an acoustic.:clap: :clap:

Congrats, Knight - can't wait to see the pics! What color '51 did you get? You should be pretty set with those two axes - they're both budget-level gems! :winkthumb:

Thanks AT and Stratrat,

The '51 is the Sunburst and the Fullerton is a Blue/Black Burst. The '51 has a great sound, can't wait for the Fullerton to arrive.:smilinguitar:

I saw one like that over at the '51 modlers forum, it looked really cool and is supposed to change the sound quite a bit. Since I am so new to electric I will probably not mod for right now, but I am prone to tinker with things on occasion, usually to no good outcome.;)

Thanks Fly,

Yeah, this will be one that I can play around a little with and practice setup without a lot of worry. I still need to get a tuner so that I can check intonation but I think with the help of folks on this forum its going to be fine.

A friend of mine just put a brass 3 saddle tele bridge on his 51.

I believe I saw that one over on TDPRI. Great mod!

Knight - great choice on the 51. I have a 'burst also, and think it's by far the best looking of the colors available. I originally bought it with the intention of using it as a modding/refinishing platform, but I like the 'burst so much that I can't bear to change it.

The

Fullerton came in last night and it looks great. :yeahhh: Tuned it up and played through the Fender Frontman and even my wife said it sounded good.:smilinguitar: So I have gone from a one slightly warped Stella owner to a one slightly warped Stella, one '51 and a Fullerton Strat owner in about one week. Whoa talk about GAS!! I had a lot of problems convincing my wife that I really needed two electrics and now I have to try and convince her that I really need one more acoustic.:rolleyes:

Going by GC this afternoon to pick up a tuner and a capo so that I can check relief and intonation on both and will post some picks the first of next week. Man I hope nothing is on sale at GC!!:drool:

That's great knight. The frets were pretty level on mine. I just set the action by eyeball. I tweaked the truss rod and lowered the strings until I got some buzzing. Then I raised them a bit until it stopped.

How do you like the frets on the Fullerton compared to the 51? Do you notice the Fullertons are tall and round? On my other guitars they are lower and flatter.

Fly,

The frets on both seem pretty level and about the same size, haven't had a chance to do a detailed exam, probably tonight. The Fullerton does have a few sharp edges on some frets but not bad, the '51 was smooth. The '51 with one single and one humbucker sounds so much different from the Fullerton with three singles, but both have a great sound to my untrained ear.

I will try and post a full disclosure in a couple of days and include some pictures.

Europa,

Mine was $49.95 including shipping and arrived in about 5 days, looks great, sound good, very satisfied so far.

Eddie