karcey

What is a guitar player?

When visitors see my guitars they ask "Do you play guitar?" and I always say "No, I'm just learning."

If I say I can play, someone might ask me to play something ... very embarrassing!

Keith Wyatt says you're a guitar player when you can play your first chord, but I think he's dreaming ... there has to be more to it than that. So help me answer this question :- At what point does one cease being just a learner and start being a player? (Please don't tell me I'll be learning for the rest of my life, I know that already. But I hope to be a player sometime before I die!)

Are you a player?

I think you are a player when you can play a few tunes to your own satisfaction. Maybe a poor guitar player, but a player none the less. We are (hopefully) always learning, but when you can stop learning for a little while and just play a tune or two, you are a player.

I would tend to agree with RB, a player is someone that can play (poorly or not) in some manner. And your satisfaction with your playing is probably the key.

When you play something that makes YOU happy... When something you play is played to your satisfaction , i.e. you judge another's "performance" of something you know... or analyze it...

And its important to realize, its yet another step to be a musician (see the song, or big picture) that plays guitar... beyond just a "guitar" player.

No matter if you are own worst critic or high hippie pie, be ye lax or disciplined, if strumming makes you happy or finger picking is your favorite puzzle... your a guitarist.

Karcey,

I think if you can play a combination of three chords and make up or play to a tune you know or heard, you are a guitar player. I know some tunes that have only two.

I think Rockerbob summed it up pretty well. I consider myself a guitar player, albeit not a good one by any stretch of the imagination.

Keep in mind that "good" is a very relative term - to somebody who doesn't play the guitar at all, you're "good" if you can put a few chords together and play a song. An experienced guitarist would have an entirely different appraisal of "good".

Until the strangled cat sounds stop coming out of my amp (or that particular tone comes into style) and I can safely play without embarrasing myself, I will not be a guitar player.

But when Eric Clapton comes round for tea, I tend to leave the guitars locked up:laughingg: <Eric Clapton's reaction to my playing

Next time he comes for a visit, could I come too?:D:escape:

At the point you stop turning your guitar amp down. Once your not scared to be heard thats a major turning point. Not that your not a player before that but its a major turning point.

And I think the definition of guitar player is " the guy she hopes asks her out before that ugly drummer comes over "

Sorry ... god forgive me on that one ....