Guitar help

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MidnightRider

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 06-April 07

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

Hey I've been playing guitar for a little while(played some years ago and picked it up again about 2months ago). I love slide guitar and really want to play it. I have a fender strat now, but I plan on buying a tele for slide. And I definately want a tele, I like the look the style feel and everything. Also, I'm a Duane Allman fan and I even was allowed to play one of his teles a few years ago. I'm just wonder what kind of qualities should i be looking for? For example:
-wood of the body?
-wood of the neck?
-semi-hollow?
ect.

Thanks a lot for the help.

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

It is not that crucial when playing slide. In fact some old beaters make terrific slide guitars. I guess it would depend on the % of slide to fretted notes. The more fretted notes are going to reflect the underlying quality of the materials. There is also the string gauge to consider. The heavier the gauge, the better the tone at the expense of ease of doing fretted bends etc. IMO an American Standard would fit the bill. You can find them on ebay for around 250 bucks. The teles with more custom bells and whistles start around 4 to 700 bucks. I personally would start on a cheaper axe to learn on. I wouldn't want to fret out on a high end guitar while I was learning.

#3 OFFLINE   Midnight Rider

• Active Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 28-September 07

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

What does "fret out" mean?

#4 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

The slide bangs into the fret wire because of too much downward pressure with the slide.

#5 OFFLINE   dayn

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 30-October 07

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:13 AM

Allman used a Les Paul. Mahogany body and neck. Solid not hollow.

Warmoth can build a Tele with these specs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users