Str8Axe

Recording Software....?

Str8Axe    0

I had my ex's folks over for dinner last night. I often used to jam with her step dad and it had been a while, so I invited them over. He brought me a whole TON of really cool music recording and editing software. Programs like: Cool Edit Pro, Cakewalk, and about 15 others that I can't remember. There's drum track programs and everything. Are these programs hard to learn the ropes on? I'm by no means computer eliterate(sp) (I just can't spell....). I've just never fooled around with programs like this.

Any tips to make learning easier?

What's the best program to use? I have heard Cool Edit is one of the "better" ones.

I should be able to post some recordings of my brutish & sloppy spin on music sometime soon!

One more thing: I recorded a 1-2 minute accoustic version of Hey Joe and it's like 17mb. How would a person convert that to a smaller 2mb ish mp3?

allthumbs    8

Kirk uses cool edit. They all have steep learning curves IMO,but then I'm an off on button kind of guy.

Sounds like you have recorded in a wav. file. Get a free wav. to mp3 converter like cheetha and your file will get much smaller.

Str8Axe    0

Yes, I think it records in .wav format. I think he installed a program that converts files into .wav formats, but it looks like I'll need to get one that converts the .wav's to MP3.

LarryKu    0

CollEdit does record as .wav, but it has many options for saving the output to other formats, and MP3 is one of them. There is no need for any other program to convert the recorded output. Do a "Save As...", then explore the various formats available.

Str8Axe    0

Ok I just went to my house on my lunch break and I can't "save as" an MP3 in Cool Edit Pro. Is there something I'm missing or do I need to get another program to do that as listed above?

LarryKu    0

When you do a "Save As" in CoolEdit, click the "Save As Type" at the bottom of the save window. One of the formats should read "MP3Pro (FhG) (*.mp3)" or something similar. That will save it as an MP3.

Larry

allthumbs    8
When you do a "Save As" in CoolEdit, click the "Save As Type" at the bottom of the save window. One of the formats should read "MP3Pro (FhG) (*.mp3)" or something similar. That will save it as an MP3.

Larry

I think he has a demo version. Some of them have that feature disabled. Not sure which ones.

Str8Axe    0

The Cool Edit I have is actually a full version. I did the pull down menu for file types and didn't see any type of MP3 option, just a lot of .wav formats. I'll take another look after work and see if I simply overlooked it. Also, maybe it's an older version and doesn't have that option. Otherwise, I'm sure one of the other freeware programs I have is capable of it. I was able to condense it to 8mb or so by changing it to 8 bit, but it's still pretty large.

Clancy    36

I think you'll find that you'll need a plug-in to be able to export (or even import) Mp3's via Cool Edit Pro. It doesn't come with the program itself. It was a paid plug-in released by Syntrillium before Adobe bought them out and made Cool Edit Pro Adobe Audition. The plug-in is no longer available as far as I can see.

We had Cool Edit Pro before we bought Adobe Audition and I know that I installed a plug-in to be able to export MP3s.

Actually just found this http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/107AES/Syntrillium/MP3-Plug-In.html

Clancy

justinthyme    3

Str8Axe - have a look at Audacity, a freeware program which you can download here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Easy to use if you're new to recording software, and a great program. Doesn't support MIDI yet, I don't think, but you can export your projects to .mp3 using the 'lame encoder' which you can get here:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html

You just need to 'tell' audacity where to find the encoder on your hard drive and away you go. Its all in the help files.

guitarmonk    0

well what i generally try for 1 track recording is soundforge (It's not free). It's where i plug my mike into guitar soundhole, which record in .wav format but then i compress it with other softwares & convertors (available as free).

But strictly speaking I am not satisfied with soundforge as it doesn't give me option of multiple tracks.

I have been looking for long on a constructive information regarding the things necessary to record guitar upto a production level quality & at home:- just like a mini recording set up for my guitar.

1) Recording ambience for Acoustic guitar - here what i mean is sound proofing

2) Recording Hardwares & essential computer equipments & configuration (what & why of the things)

--like the importance of independent sound cards, Processors, memory, mikes

--Nature, brand & quality of equipments what are generally recommended & most often used

3) Relative softwares - both video & audio editing

I request the administrators & Kirk to throw some light out of their experience on this issue as it troubles most acoustic professionals & laymen who are not equally competent in computer skills.

Also where can we find them & what are their alternatives. It can be best if we can be helped with their availability/resource/links. I request that what is prior in most of cases is least or negligible expenditure without compromising the quality.

Regards

4)

CanuckTodd    0

This all sounds kind of complex!

I guess if you want to edit, clean up a song and add multi-tracks that's the way to go.

I just pull the headphones out of my MP3 player (a cheapo Foxda 6606 I picked up new for about $65 Cdn) and stick the line out adapter from my acoustic amp into the MP3's headphone jack that doubles as a line in. Bingo, instant recording device. Then I hook it the MP3 up to the computer and drag the files onto my harddrive. Nothing too fancy, but does the trick for simple songs. I can record a song and post it in 30 seconds or less, which is, bad news for you folks!