Clancy

Why isn't sound card mic input working?

Up-date...

After more fiddling today I think the only factor is the sync with edit veiw, untick and that should allow single track recording,{once again - on my set-up anyways}.

Clancy    36

Thanks again Kenny, I will look back into this all after I get a few other things done. I'll follow your dumazz advice ;) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your time... glad you've got back into Audition... it really is a neat little program.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Clancy

Hey JayJay,not a total pc n00b here but what is an interrupt? does it have another name? I'm always game to learn more about this as it relates to recording... Thanks in advance......Kenny

Dewy    0

Never had anything but problems out of "built-in" devices on computers and trying to bypass them. I'm with Jay... problem is probably in the computer sharing resources with the "old" soundcard, and the new one.

A new motherboard is where I would start... get rid of the onboard sound once and for all.

737blues    0

Just disable the on-board soundcard in the BIOS. You will probably find after that, Win 'plug and pray' will eventually sort out a combination of interrupts that don't conflict.

Clancy    36
Just disable the on-board soundcard in the BIOS. You will probably find after that, Win 'plug and pray' will eventually sort out a combination of interrupts that don't conflict.

I did disable it John, it still didn't want to work. It worked for a while and then stopped again. I don't know. I'll try a few other things suggested here when I get a bit more time.

Clancy

Clancy    36
Hmmm! ... returning it to the dealer must be getting high on the list of options by now, Clancy. Good luck. :crying2:

Actually not really John. We bought and tried to get an external Creative sound card working a while back and had the same kind of issues, so I don't think it's a problem with the soundcard itself.

Clancy

737blues    0

That's a shame. All I can think of then is that you have a hardware fault somewhere in the motherboard or a problem with the motherboards low-level chipset drivers. When you get time, maybe try logging on to forums for the motherboard/chipset manufacturer and/or the soundcard. You'll probably have to put with a few idiots who will sneer 'noob' and the like at you in those Geek forums, but generally I've found that sooner or later, somebody who really knows what they're talking about will help you out.

Stratrat    0
Hmmm! ... returning it to the dealer must be getting high on the list of options by now, Clancy...

I was thinking more along the lines of lighting it on fire must be getting high on the list of options by now! :D

felixdcat    0

First, excuse me if someone already suggested this. I'll try to do my best to help you.

Here are the things I'd do in your place (if the input wasn't working).

1. Get newest drivers for your card. here

2. Get newest chipset drivers

3. Disable integrated sound on your motherboard.

4. Make sure that nothing is muted in Start-Programs-Accecories entertainment-Volume Control or sound card software.

5. Make sure that your card 'knows' that you plugged a microphone, and not a speaker (mine asks when I plug in something about what did I just plug in)

6. Try different microphones :)

7. Since it worked for a while, try to remember when it stopped working.

So, please try this, it might help. Probably you tried some of these things yourself, but I hope they help. If there are still problems, say so. I'll try to think of something else.

Clancy    36

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful... I haven't got back into it again. We are just using the inbuilt sound card for now. I just haven't had the time to spend another day on it. I will though, I love a challenge so it'll be good to get it worked out. I'll let you know what worked.

Thanks again,

Clancy

Jomi    1

If it's any help, I couldn't find a Line-in control in the windows sound controls, after a bit of googling I found that I have to use the 'What you hear' control instead.

Stratrat    0

Jomi - if you choose "Options > Properties" from the menu in the Windows sound control, it should give you the option to check which inputs you want displayed. My line-in is labeled "Line Volume".

Jomi    1

Thanks Stratrat, I checked, it's not there - I did read about it but I can't remember exactly what the article said other than the 'What you hear' control is there instaed of 'Line-in'.

Hilch    0

Is it fixed Clancy?

I am NOT a computor nerd but I offer this solution a it has worked for me in the past .

Step 1. Make copies of all files and folders onto CD

Step 2. Un plug computor

Step 3 . Stand on top step of house

Step 4 . Ooops

Step 5 . Ring insurance company

Step 6 . make claim

Step 7 . Unwrap new computor with all new fully installed software and everything else that was ( or should have been on old one).

Of course this is a joke PEOPLE !! I would NEVER do something like defraud a insurance company or encourage anyone else of doing such a thing .