- - - - -

SolidWalnut's Lessons

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   __tsidewinder__

• Active Members
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

Hey, I just wanted to thank Solid Walnut for the huge amount of work this guy has put into his lessons here. They're helpful, thorough, and put together well.

I'm especially interested in his new Rhythm lessons. Its something I know I need to work on, I keep getting stuck in the same rhythm patterns, and my technique is pretty sloppy.

The recording lessons have been interesting, and I still have to get into major scale ones

Thanks Walnut.
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

-John Lennon

#2 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

Thanks very much, tsidewinder. There will be plenty more to come and I hope you enjoy them. The next set of lessons will be video lessons on technique with a few specific acoustic and electric song lessons thrown in. I like to mix it up a bit! If you ever have any questions about any of them just shout.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#3 OFFLINE   derek6107

• Active Members
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 30-May 07

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Good call tsidewinder. Solidwalnut's work is fantastic. Vey varied and insightful. I'm learning a lot. Thanks Steve.

#4 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

You're welcome, Derek.
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.

#5 OFFLINE   tonedeaf

• Active Members

• 217 posts
  • Joined 25-October 06

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:43 AM

Hey Steve!

Thanks for the lessons, they complement Kirk's very nicely. I appreciate yoiur efforts.

The new lesson that was just posted I can't figure out what chord you are playing in the second tab.

The first tab is the open C chord, I get that, but the second tab opens with the same C chord for the first sequence till the low g note. I am not sure what your chord sequence is after that. I tried the chords that you supplied in different order but i am not sure what goes where yet. :dunno:

------------------------------------
--1----------1----------------3-----
--------0---------0-3----0--------0-
-----2---------3-------0--------0---
--3-----------------2---------------
-----------3---------------0-------- etc...2nd tab -->

********^ (Here is where I am wondering about)

Thanks,
John

Actually, looking back at the orignal post my print out of the tabs was just a little bit different than what is on the screen! My print out shows that when you change to the Em7/G chord you pick D and B together. Mine shows A# and B. That makes a big difference. Ignore my post except for the comments of course!

#6 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

tonedeaf said:

Hey Steve!

Thanks for the lessons, they complement Kirk's very nicely. I appreciate yoiur efforts.

The new lesson that was just posted I can't figure out what chord you are playing in the second tab.

The first tab is the open C chord, I get that, but the second tab opens with the same C chord for the first sequence till the low g note. I am not sure what your chord sequence is after that. I tried the chords that you supplied in different order but i am not sure what goes where yet. :dunno:

------------------------------------
--1----------1----------------3-----
--------0---------0-3----0--------0-
-----2---------3-------0--------0---
--3-----------------2---------------
-----------3---------------0-------- etc...2nd tab -->

********^ (Here is where I am wondering about)

Thanks,
John

Actually, looking back at the orignal post my print out of the tabs was just a little bit different than what is on the screen! My print out shows that when you change to the Em7/G chord you pick D and B together. Mine shows A# and B. That makes a big difference. Ignore my post except for the comments of course!

John--

Thanks for the kind words. Yes! The idea is to complement Kirk's lessons and the reason for this site!

I hope the TAB is making sense now. When I first posted the lesson, there was an error in the second TAB. Just to be sure, go back there, refresh the page and then check the second TAB against what you've printed.

I think you know what the second tab is supposed to be. I mean, what you're doing is switching to the Em7 chord but also playing a G in the bass (E string 3rd fret), and you said the A# and B. I'm not sure if you're still seeing the wrong thing or...what. Just to be sure, when you switch to the Em7/G, that would mean that you're playing the E, A and B strings from top to bottom.

One trick that might help about playing the G bass note in both chord situations (the C and the G). If you notice in the video, I only play that low G note 'Just in Time'. My finger isn't on the string until I need it to be.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

#7 OFFLINE   Live Stone

• Active Members
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hey Steve:

I am always appreciative of the great lessons you prepare. You are part of the reason that GFB&B forums are the only ones I belong to.

Thank you and God bless you.

Danny
Politicians are like baby diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason.

#8 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

Danny, those are some really wonderful words. You're welcome, and I hope God blesses you today, too.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

#9 OFFLINE   scorpius

• Active Members
  • 569 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

Nice lessons, Steve. I'm sure a lot of our beginners will be glad with these, and of course on Kirk's lessons as well.
w@v

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users