Best Guitar Solo

150 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

Without repeating much of the stuff already posted, I'll throw out something new...

Allan Holdsworth - Song: Expresso, Album: Gong Gazeuse!
Tommy Bolin - Album: Private Eyes

Granted these guys aren't memorable for any particular solos but I really love their guitar playing.

#82 OFFLINE   MoonShine

• Active Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 08-June 06

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

Hi, so many to choose from but heres a few memorable faves.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Voodoo Chile

Foghat - I Just Want To Make Love To You

Cream - Crossroads

#83 OFFLINE   Huggy49

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 21-May 06

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

Angus Young's minimalist solo in "You Shook Me All Night Long" is probably my favorite; I just like the way it fits with the song and it has this lascivious vibe to it. I'd rather listen to Angus Young tune his guitar than most scalloped-fretboard shredmasters play their material. (Brian Kenney Fresno got it right.)

Ty Tabor's solo in King's X's "Cigarettes" (outro) makes my hair stand on end. Jimmy Page's solo in "The Rover". Ty Tabor's solo in "Pretend"....

-Gary.

#84 OFFLINE   MoonShine

• Active Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 08-June 06

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

MoonShine said:

Hi, so many to choose from but heres a few memorable faves.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Voodoo Chile

Foghat - I Just Want To Make Love To You

Cream - Crossroads

Sorry, was thinking riff's, more than solo's.

Few come to mind are Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent, Johnny & Edgar Winter, Eddie VH, CCR's John Fogerty.
And howsabout a reeeal oldie, Hank Marvin from the Shadows. Who?...some might say:D

#85 OFFLINE   metalkour

• Active Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 10-June 06

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:55 PM

the river dragon has come by Nevermore:jawdrop:

#86 OFFLINE   Hilch

• Active Members
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 19-March 06

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

Angus Young . ... Thunder Struck

(AC/DC)

Hilch

#87 OFFLINE   guttertrashsingalong

• Active Members
  • 584 posts
  • Joined 17-May 06

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

hendrix star spangled banner woodstock,buckhead dallas tx,slash japan tour dont remember year

#88 OFFLINE   rocknroll2354

Newcomer

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 23-June 06

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

I dunno if its the best but i really liked the solo from freebird it just seemed to fit the song so perfectly

#89 OFFLINE   bashea

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-February 06

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

nalk said:

Speaking of solos, dont you just "hate" guys like this:

He makes it look so effortlessly and easy.

The facial expressions alone are worth it.

Do we all of play with those weirdly pursed lips?

#90 OFFLINE   metalkour

• Active Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 10-June 06

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

children of bodom's bodom after midnight
malmsteen's vengence
judas priest's pain killer

#91 OFFLINE   Jove d'Ark

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 28-May 06

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:46 AM

Huggy49=Wrote,

I'd rather listen to Angus Young tune his guitar than most scalloped-fretboard shredmasters play their material.================
=========================
This is a most worthwhile comment and fits with much of what I have been trying to say in all of my various posts. Skill and Artistic integrity equates to Great Music. All those SPEED Demons gives us is a BLUR of sound. I like my music TIGHT and TASTY( throughout the whoel BAND) and decorated with obvious Tradesmanship that can only be aquired by arduous years as a journeyman/apprentice no matter who the artist or the genre.
For those who say a 3 chord tune that moves them to tears is on par with the greatest Masters of Fugue, I say No Way.
As to Angus, I think his best solo is on A Whole Lotta Rosie, but as I peruse all the name thrown up I must say There is NO BEST EVER SOlO. From Jimi's Red House through all of the afore mentioned, these are great works by competent Tradesmen and woman who have taken thier Particular skill to the Enth degree within Thier particular genre. There will NEVER be a ONE ONLY Greatest Whilever Music continues to to be the NeverEnding Story that it is.
Go and check out the depth of musical knowledge and Guitar Artistry of Jean Felix Lalanne. As many have pointed out to me in these Forums MUSIC is SUCH A PERSONAL CHOICE WE ALL MAKE given our own PERSONAL Maturity.

#92 OFFLINE   MoonShine

• Active Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 08-June 06

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:29 PM

Great post Jove d'Ark,
I've always been inclined to take note of who the actual guitarists/muso's recognize as the artist who excels over all others, but not many do put another up on a pedestal, they use the word, 'influence' a lot.
And not many suggest one or the other, they spread their choice out over several genre's or technique.

'Too many to mention' is my answer to this thread, and thats only from a music loving observer and not a proficient guitarist or artist as such. You can rattle out hundreds of names of exceptionally talented guitarists, each having huge respect and admiration for their colleagues ability.....
(well, except for some with ego problems such as Richie Blackmore who tried to stick it up Eric Clapton lol?)

#93 OFFLINE   gravitas

• Active Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 26-January 06

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

I don't post here often, but I figured that this one was worth a post:

That right there is one of my favourites. It meets with a lot of flak, though. Why? Well, specifically, because Andy is so damn good. There is a certain clique of guitarists (I'm not accusing anyone) that can only enjoy songs in which all of the guitar playing is compact, purposeful, you know? And I respect that, in some ways, but that school of thought is limiting.

Listen to Andy with a critical ear, and understand the scope of his musicality. He understands the different wavelengths on which our brains work: first, he catches our attention with that melancholy melody. It's the kind of thing you can't ignore. But he realizes that the human brain is difficult to occupy for too terribly long, and it's such a simple melody isn't it? So he switches it up a little. Now, those aforementioned guitarists are probably still digging the song with him. But those melodic cadences get exhausted, too. So he resorts to those scalar runs, those runs that are so admired and rejected, loathed and envied, sought after and reviled. But why should they be hated in this context? They're perfectly tasteful.

And this is where that school of thought can damage your appreciation of music. Because it stresses the importance of the individual note rather than the impact of the run as a whole, you get lost. Wait, though, your brain does a funny thing when it receives that kind of exposure: it shuts off. It ceases to function. But see how Andy returns to the melody right after? What he's doing isn't to inflate his ego (though I'd venture to guess that it does), it's to instill this total sensory overload in us as listeners. In the same way the sugar at the bottom of your coffe is surprising or a cigarette after a stressful day is refreshing, that overload is stupefying. Think of it like impressionism. Van Gogh drew some pretty big, ugly pitctures of blurs, but step back and see how they turn into some pretty damn nice lookin' flowers.

Of course, constant exposure will numb you to the quality of those flurries of notes. But my point is that an appretiation for airtight songs shouldn't instill a rejection of proficiency.
Holophonic dog howling at the moon / Lying with the dumb baby death at noon / I love this war cos I never lose / Cut me baby I just bleed booze ~ Zodiac Mindwarp

#94 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

Boy you have put a lot of thought into this. I liked the tune for the most part. Niether good nor bad here, just a matter of personal taste. Thanks for posting it.

#95 OFFLINE   MoonShine

• Active Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 08-June 06

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yeah agree Thumbs, some real nice laid back stuff there, depending on what mood you're in could mellow out with that style quite comfortably, and go 'dynamic' with some SRV whenever I need an adrenalin fix.

#96 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Nine enough song. Kind of epic chill music. Camel did that sort of thing, although I'm not necessarily equating the guitar playing. But as far as a guitar solo goes it has no hook. Just a lot of transitioning between a bunch of "sounds familiar" soloing. Good stuff, I'd sure like to play it 1/10 as good.

#97 OFFLINE   Carlos74

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-May 06

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

"Tornado of Souls" played by Marty Friedman while in Megadeth

Has anyone watched the G3 with Malmsteen? Is it good? I'm about to buy it, but I would like some feedback first.

#98 OFFLINE   metalkour

• Active Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 10-June 06

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

it was my favorite G3
i suggest buying it

#99 OFFLINE   sustain66

• Active Members
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 02-July 06

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

Everything Yengwie. Without a doubt.....

#100 OFFLINE   Gazbow

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 07-July 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:24 AM

Most things by Pete Townshend.
Gazbow got drunk yesterday!
Everton FC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users