sale

Best Guitar Solo

I like to be mentally entertained and emotionally moved and left with a feeling of timelessness. Of course, the music must be friendly to my ears.

I was introduced to this group of four artists below in the early summer of 2006.

I started to look at my current relationship I had with my guitar and the kind of music I felt like I wanted to play. Its been 38 years since I’ve played. And I had no formal lessons to rest on or to draw from.

Tender Surrender and the Attitude Song by: Steve Vai ….:

Cliffs of Dover, Manhattan and a Tribute to SRV by: Eric Johnson …

I’m Down (from G3 Live tour) and Cool No 9 by: Joe Satriani …

Epilogue to Lisa by: Shawn Lane

When I hear the above tunes …. I have to stop and then ... simply enjoy being taken on a musical-journey. To me, from beginning to end … It is like one huge solo.

I enjoy being swept away in some ones music … only if I can trust the body of the artists music is strong enough to bring me back safely.

A little heady … don’t you think?

I was told that: “If you can remember “Woodstock” you weren’t really there.

Honestly …. Every guitarist I hear …. plays their own solo-story of themselves.

I’m glad we are all different.

I had never heard of Andy Timmons before Gravitas posted that Youtube link, but really liked what I heard.

While I can definitely enjoy a good shred or wank solo, the ones that I really groove on most are the soulful ones that move me emotionally in some way. A lot of Santana's stuff does that, as does Satriani.....although he can be a shredder, some of his stuff is very contemplative and soulful too. I enjoy stuff like the Andy Timmons solo....it was plaintive at times, blistering at times, and just plain mellow at others.

I don't know that I could even name my own absolute all-time favorite solo - it all depends on the mood I'm in or where I want to be taken at any given moment. I wouldn't want to listen to Larry Carlton at a football and beer party with a bunch of friends, nor would I choose Eddie Van Halen for relaxing and decompressing at the end of the day. There are so many great riffs and solos in so many different genres that pigeonholing a few as my absolute favorites would do injustice to a lot of others.

I think you are right on context Stratrat.

Some great solos are John Jorgenson's solo on 'Back on Terra Firma', Larry Carlton's 'Last Night' album (too hard to pick one track), 'Flying in a Blue Dream' by Satch, Robben Ford's 'Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues', 'Help the Poor', Talk To Your Daughter' and 'Revelation', Mike Stern on 'Gossip', Eric Johnson 'Trademark' and 'Manhattan', EC on 'White Room', 'Little Wing' (his tribute to Hendrix), Gary Moore on 'The Messiah Will Come Again' (his tribute to Roy Buchanan), Jeff Beck 'Where Were You?'. SRV 'Couldn't Stand the Weather', David Gilmour 'Another Brick', 'Comfortably Numb', Pat Metheny 'James'.

I shall stop now before it goes on forever!

I would have to say its a tie between "The thrill is gone" by BB king and "Dark was the night, Cold was the ground" by Blind Willie Johnson.

Both emotional and minimalist.

If you're asking about personal favorites,mine would have to be, at this time, "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" by Jeff Beck. Not the studio version but the one from youtube where he plays a telecaster. I'll post a link if I can still find it.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_BOHpb3lc Come to think of it, I'm really fond of Jimi's "Bleeding Heart Blues" too.

Myself it has to be Alex Lifeson with La Villa Strangiato I saw him play it at Glasgow SECC when they toured with the Roll The Bones tour there was tears running down my face and a major big lump in my throat, people must have thought I was some kind of nutter, if I could have hugged the guy I would have....Pure Dead Brilliant..so it was. I missed there 30 year tour and there was major tears about that believe me

Im not gonna comment, I dont like the November Rain solo though - or the song. No one would like my opinion, youre generally all blues fans I have come to find. Not mind kinda gig, but nevermind. I agree, however, with the solo from Ride the Lightning - awesome. =]

Guest BuddyManx

Its impossible to really say one is the best, but I've always loved "Since I've been Loving You", by Led Zeppelin- and that's what came to mind first.That probably just reflects the period of my impressionable youth (a long time ago sadly). :crying2:

Its impossible to really say one is the best, but I've always loved "Since I've been Loving You", by Led Zeppelin- and that's what came to mind first.That probably just reflects the period of my impressionable youth (a long time ago sadly). :crying2:

As much as I like the studio version of that, I prefer the live version off the "Song Remains The Same" movie. A real heart penetrator!

Guest BuddyManx

They're all good. Song Remains the Same is a fabulous live recording though. No Quarter still sends shivers down my spine, and Dazed and Confused - well I could listen to that track so much I could wear a hole in it .

The "Best" of course is subjective and is always arguable. One my "favourites" is Ritchie Blackmore's solo in "Highway Star"! Shivers!!! Every time, nothing but shivers!!!

Too Right,

Never will be a 'Best Ever' Solo. Not in a "complete" musical sense. So far this forum has come from a very limited Pop/Rock perspective. How many Genre of music are there? And then we must ask ourselves do we prefer the Modal/Scalar approach which allows very repititious, simplistic but blindingly fast shreds, which ultimately like Santana become very boring after 30 years. Or is your taste more for someone like Tal Farlow/ Joe Pass types ripping through the changes at 400 bpm?

And what about the subliminal mastery of the likes of Paganini offering love to his muse on his violin. I know this is a guitar forum, but for me, a solo is solo, no matter the instrument. Beethhoven at the piano. Yes!! And after all, are we not first and foremost "Musicians" whose preferred instrument is the guitar?

And we have not even mentioned whether it is to be a "Scored" solo or a spontaneously improvised one.

I guess in the end, there are HEAPS, of great solos, and thats a damn good thing.

I beg to differ

Eddie is a great player, but there have been other players that have also contributed to the development of the instrument considerably.

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Michael Hedges, Don Ross are players that have introduced major innovations on the instrument. There would be others as well, but I am just going off the top of my head here.