sale

Best Guitar Solo

One of my favorites would be the Deep Purple Solo in "Sometimes I Feel Like Screeming" live with the london philaharmonic orchestra...

I find it a diffrent(interesting) use of tapping

OR maybe i just dont know what im talking about :P

What do you think is the best guitar solo of all the time

Well, like many here..so hard to narrow it down to just one...here's my picks off the top of my head:

Rush: La Villa Strangiato (pretty much the whole song is a solo)

Zeppelin: Communication Breakdown (blistering) / Since I've Been Loving You

Pink Floyd: Solos on Time and Shine on you crazy diamond

Yes: Mood For A Day (whole song solo)

Klaatu: Anus of Uranus (wild tone on that guitar)

Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower

The list could go on ad-nauseam, but, those were the first quick ones off the top of my head, and it is always best to go with your first instincts...

:-)

"Klaatu: Anus of Uranus (wild tone on that guitar)"

Holy cow! I think I still have this album on vinyl. Now I'm going to have to dig it up and give it a listen.

"Klaatu: Anus of Uranus (wild tone on that guitar)"

Holy cow! I think I still have this album on vinyl. Now I'm going to have to dig it up and give it a listen.

Wow...I'm amazed anyone much still knows who they are!! I loved their 1st two albums....

If you like them...they have remasterd and re-issued the catalog...got it from a Canadian company. I'm too much a noob to post the URL right now to them...but, ask me later or pm me..and I can give you the link if you're interested.

cayenne

Monte Montgomery's solo on his cover of Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet is the most impressive thing I've ever heard on a guitar. I listen to it and try to imagine how he does it, then my brain locks up and I go into a coma for 3 days or until my body funk wakes me up from not having showered for that amount of time. Anyways if you haven't heard it you should.

i know like all of these have been mentioned before, but here's my top faves:

1. lynyrd skynyrd - free bird

2. dire straits - sultans of swing

3. guns n roses - sweet child of mine

4. led zeppelin - stairway to heaven

5. geoff healy - while my guitar gently weeps

6. python lee jackson - in a broken dream

7. the darkness - love is only a feeling

8. def leppard - women

9. jimi hendrix - all along the watchtower

10. eric clapton - sunshine of your love

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Peter Frampton's solo in "Do You Feel Like We Do".....maybe not artistic genius, but a great solo nonetheless.

EVH had many great solos - I liked the one in "Cabo Wabo", but there were so many others.

"Free Bird" is one of the all-time classics, IMO.....just some good rockin' right there! The solo from Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' With Disaster" is another tasty southern rocker.

I don't know the guitarist's name, but the guy who plays with Kenny Chesney has turned out a few good ones....not shredding or anything like that, but just very soulful. The one from "Anything But Mine" comes to mind right away. He plays some great riffs in "Summertime" also.

Way too many solos to pick from, but that being said, I always thought Page's solo as Black Dog is fading out, is one of his best. Odd cause as he really starts going, it starts fading out!

Course, I'm a huge Mark Knopfler fan, so maybe the live version of Telegraph Road. His live version of Private Investigations with it's heavy Spanish influence is pretty awesome too. And Romeo and Juliet is beautiful, though I often thought he might be playing mandolin on that one. Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of Sultans of Swing, but the fact that he is fingerpicking that is truly incredible.

Like many, probably, the first time I head EVH Eruption, I was like "wow, what is that!!!" And yeah, some GNR, just because they were the only ones at the time making killer tunes like that. Frampton makes me nostalgic, FCA was huge when I was in High School (dating myself).

Short answer: too many to choose from!

Another classic, Jimmy Page on Led I, the solo on Communication Breakdown.

I am also a HUGE Gilmour fan...the solos on Time, and Wish You Were Here (all parts)....pure soul and genius

I would definately have to say the last solo of november rain by Slash. That was the song that inspired me really, i was 9 years old at the time but i never picked up the guitar till i was 18. But man, that solo was good, not the hardest though. Maybe its not the solo, perhaps it was the performance as a whole. I guess i couldnt get over slash standing on the piano and playing his solo while axl played the piano.

Django Reinhardt's solo on Minor Swing is pretty cool.

Al Dimeola (and Paco De Lucia) on Mediteranean Sunrise (Rio Anchos?) is pretty amazing as well.

I found that "Sultans of swing " by Dire Straits was a defining moment for me. However when I listen to Rev Gary Davis & guys like that. It is really only fills between chords that they are playing, but they are sublime.

Have always loved Neil Young's guitar work in Southern Man , have seen him twice live, first concert was perhaps the best I have ever seen the second probably the worst.