sale

Best Guitar Solo

I had a look around the internet about 'Glasgow Kiss' too. I could only find an old BBC series for a pretty poor programme called 'Glasgow Kiss' in 2000 about a down-on-his-luck journalist. Cant remember it at all! looked pretty bad.

It was either so bad that Petrucci decided to write something in 'honour' of it ! :P (I doubt it!) or he has picked up on this quaint phrase on tour and decide to use it. I hope he wasnt saying 'yes' to the question 'Do you want a Glasgow kiss pal?!' :huh::D

'Glasgow kiss' came about from Glasgows very violent gang-ridden past which gave the city a notorious and anything but romantic image. Another dreadful joke was about going to Glasgow for a laugh and coming back in stitches i.e. cut up by gangs who had a habit of carrying old-style barbers razors to attack people with. Nice :huh:

Anyhoo...back to guitar solos :D

I know it's not the greatest but there is this tiny solo in paul simon's call me al that whenever i hear it sends me into the biggest fit of the giggles! i don't know but i love it for that!

I´d have to say that the one guitar solo that never fails to raise the hairs on my arms is the one from the song "Rocky Mountain Way" by James Gang. There´s just something about that voice box guitar solo that get´s me every time.

Btw. if you´re a Vai fan you might want to check out an album named Skyscraper. It is a David Lee Roth album but it features Vai as coproducer- writer and of course guitar player. It is an old but great album.

I understand that it comes on cd nowadays too for you young kids out there. *Reaching for my walking cane* I own an original vinyl copy.:)

Ledhead wrote: "Yeah, but I think he recorded it while with The James Gang...if I'm not mistaken."

You´re quite right. And after James Gang which was J.W´s own band he played with Eagles for a while and they actually liked "Rocky" so much they did a live version too. at least I have a live version of that song from the eaglesfans.com website.

http://www.eaglesfans.com/downloads/audio/index.htm#walsh

It´s at the bottom of the Frey part of the page.

don't feel like listening to my whole hendrix collection since i know my favourite solo's probably gonna be there but i'll just say black betty- lynard skynard

My all-time favorite for now is still Mark Tremonti's "Open Your Eyes" solo for the band Alter Bridge. I'd already loved him as a guitarist before first hearing that song, but after seeing him unleash just a portion of his talent with that solo, I knew he was a favorite of mine.

Electric...

Jimi Hendrix, "Star Spangled Banner", Woodstock, 1969!

Loaded and/or drunk, the man could play.

(No, I wasn't there, I was in a college summer school calculus prep class)

Acoustic Steel String...

Pete Huttlinger, "Brown Bomber", on "Naked Pop"

A snappy, toe-tapper!

Acoustic Nylon String...

Andres Segovia, "Bourree", J. S. Bach (my favorite version is on "The Golden Collection")

You just can't beat the Maestro playing the Maestro!

I am a huge Clapton fan (partly because I grew up with his music as he was making it and have stuck with him since)

Some of my favorites from Eric are:

- "Crossroads" (live with Cream)

- "Layla" (well, actually this would be my favorite riff)

and if you haven't heard it - I was blown away by his 1966 solo in

- "Have You Heard" from John Mayall - The Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (the Beano album).

and the solo on the Beatles White Album

- "While my guitar gently weeps" (which George Harrison asked Eric to do for him on the record because at the time he didn't feel he could play what he was hearing in his head - although Eric didn't want his name on the album so you wouldn't know it's him except by the sound!).

But I'd also have to give a real big thumbs up to

- "Stairway to Heaven" - Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

I guess you can tell I'm a '60's guy...

Jim

Don't know about a "best", but here are some of my fav's

SRV - Little Wing (Yes, I like it better than Jimi's version)

Jeff Beck - Cuz' We've Ended as Lovers

Albert Collin's - One long, head turnin', dead wakin', soul slappin', feedback ridin', vibrato fueled, paint peelin', gut wrenchin', bent to eternity and back note I heard at an informal blues jam in L.A. many years ago. :scared:

Peace,

Rico

Drawing a blank on a few names here-but what about the lead player from Rush? Also Starship, and although not My favorite band Eddie VanHalen was a pretty good ripper.

Suicide Solution - Ozzy Osbourne - Guitar Genius of late Randy Rhoads.

The Electric guitar player of Rush is Alex Lifeson ( or Alexander Zivojinovich ). He brought us the memorable Spirit of the Radio solo.

I agree that is certainly a powerful note. However, it's Gary Moore that recorded this song. Santana is also well known for long, sustained, wide vibrato notes.

I stand corrected. But you have to admit that the playing style comes close to that of Santana in this song. I don't know for the rest of Moores songs, as I'm not familiar with his work (yet)

Gary Moore was guitarist in Thin Lizzy for a while. For me his best moment is his solo in their song Black Rose (Roisin Dhu) a combination of Celtic melodies, blues riffs and 'Danny Boy'. His solo material is mostly electric blues inspired by Clapton and Peter Green, etc.

He makes an appearance in the video in this thread

Everyone has mentioned some great solos, but my favorite of all-time is B.B. King’s “Sweet Sixteen”. He recorded it many times, and some of the live tracks from the late sixties and early seventies are likely the most soulful, but the original 1959 recording just blows me away. The first five notes that open the track cut right through me. The man can emote so much with such simple phrases. It’s a beautiful melody that, to me, really represents the quintessential slow Blues guitar solo.

Then B.B. sings. :yes:

I've been thinking about guitar solos for the past couple of days. In terms of Jazz solos, I really love Barney Kessel's "You're the One for Me" from his 1977 release "Soaring". It's just beautiful.

I have to give the Rock genre a little thought, but there have already been some great ones listed by everyone else.