sale

Best Guitar Solo

Hey, you want the best showmanship in a guitar solo? I know it's old, but this one goes hands-down to the Head Cuttin' Duel from Crossroads.

Now, this isn't the whole thing (there's nothing quite like seeing Steve Vai playing "Bad Horsie, smoke rising from his hair and coiling from his snout), but it does have the fingerstyle classical section.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8227019062398605553&q=guitar

The actor is Ralph Macchimo, but it was actually performed by Ry Cooder (formerly of Captain Beefheart), if you're into that kind of trivia.

Hey, you want the best showmanship in a guitar solo? I know it's old, but this one goes hands-down to the Head Cuttin' Duel from Crossroads.

Yeah, I remember that movie. I must get it on dvd when it becomes available in my local dvd shop.

Ry Cooder is such a good slide player, and Steve Vai...................nuff said!:thumbup1:

Neil

Now, this isn't the whole thing (there's nothing quite like seeing Steve Vai playing "Bad Horsie, smoke rising from his hair and coiling from his snout), but it does have the fingerstyle classical section.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8227019062398605553&q=guitar

The actor is Ralph Macchimo, but it was actually performed by Ry Cooder (formerly of Captain Beefheart), if you're into that kind of trivia.

I think the last 10 mins. or so of the movie is worth putting up with the rest of it, so-so as it is. Too bad the link you provided doesn't show the scene in it's entirety -- Vai was really cooking just as Macchio and his elderly traveling partner first walked in the juke-joint. He had the place hopping.

I read an interview with Vai not long ago and the subject of "The Duel" was brought up. Vai jokingly complained that wherever he goes, someone will undoubtedly ask, "Hey, how come you let that Karate Kid beat you in that movie?!" Vai has to explain that it was Cooder and himself who actually did Macchio's riffs, and that the actor did not "chop-chop heeeeyah!" the hell out of him in the head-cutting contest.

btw -- Speaking of "Bad Horsie", the best version I've seen of it is on the "Steve Vai: Live at The Astoria (London 2001)" DVD. Best metal video I've ever seen/heard -- bar none.

btw -- Speaking of "Bad Horsie", the best version I've seen of it is on the "Steve Vai: Live at The Astoria (London 2001)" DVD. Best metal video I've ever seen/heard -- bar none.

Have you checked out the latest G3 concert series called "G3 Live In Tokyo" with Satch, Vai, and John Petrucci.

I'm picking it up this Friday. I've heard it's very good.

Neil

Have you checked out the latest G3 concert series called "G3 Live In Tokyo" with Satch, Vai, and John Petrucci.

I'm picking it up this Friday. I've heard it's very good.

Neil

You're probably going to think I'm "pulling your leg" (to put it politely), but I picked up mine at Wal-Mart less than a week ago. It is very good. It starts with Petrucci doing two #'s, followed by Satriani doing three, and Vai picks up the rear doing three himself. They save the best for last as all three of them take stage and jam to "Foxey Lady", "La Grange", and "Smoke on the Water." Yowza!

I became a Vai fanatic when I bought "Live at the Astoria." The only time I'd ever heard him before was in "Crossroads" and on DLR's "Eat 'em and Smile" album (loved "Yankee Rose"). I ran across the "Astoria" dvd while picking up Skynyrd's "Freebird: The Movie." Figured what the hell, only $15...why not? Turns out it's the best $15 I ever spent. I was absolutely floored from the opening track "Shyboy" and by the time they whipped into "Bad Horsie", I was in heaven. (Other personal favorites on the dvd are Hendrix's "Fire", "Great Balls of Gold", and the closer, "The Attitude Song." Eric Sardinas appears onstage out of nowhere for that one and is simply incredible on that electric dobro). I've watched that video at least ten times in the 3 mos. that I've had it and have yet to watch so much as 1/3 of the "Freebird" dvd -- and I'm a big Skynyrd fan. What's that tell you?

Incredibly gifted as Vai is, I have to admit I think Satriani gave the best performance of the three on the "G3: Tokyo" dvd with Vai a close 2nd and Petrucci an even closer 3rd. Then again, Satch was Vai's mentor/teacher...

enjoy it, my man.

Bob

Hey Bob

Have you listened to Vai's Passion and Warfare cd? Absolutely brilliant! That's one of Vai's worth getting your hands on if ya can.

Since you've already seen "G3 Live In Tokyo" you would be familiar with the track on that dvd called "The Audience Is Listening" which is also on the Passion & Warfare cd.

I'll have to check out Vai's Astoria dvd.

Neil

No, I haven't heard "Passion and Warfare", but I've read rave reviews on it -- especially at Vai's forum on his site, vai.com. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks, Neil.

And yes, "The Audience is Listening" is Vai's opening # on the dvd and is awesome indeed (gee, what are the odds?!)

This may seem a little strange, but in a small way I kind of felt sorry for Petrucci when the three of them were onstage jamming together for the last three #'s. Half the time, Satch and Vai were playing to each other while Petrucci more or less...stood by. I mean, John played just as well and received enough solo time as they alternated mind-numbingly fast riffs between the three of them, but I felt that he might have felt like somewhat of an outsider. I dunno, maybe it's just me...

Get back to me after you watch it and tell me your opinion.

Bob

btw -- had a chance the other day to pick up a G-3 cd with Satch, Vai, and Eric Johnson on it but I passed. After watching "Live at the Astoria" and becoming so hooked on it, I'll see if I can pick it up on dvd. Only thing better than listening to these dudes play is watching them.

This may seem a little strange, but in a small way I kind of felt sorry for Petrucci when the three of them were onstage jamming together for the last three #'s. Half the time, Satch and Vai were playing to each other while Petrucci more or less...stood by. I mean, John played just as well and received enough solo time as they alternated mind-numbingly fast riffs between the three of them, but I felt that he might have felt like somewhat of an outsider. I dunno, maybe it's just me...

Get back to me after you watch it and tell me your opinion.

Bob

QUOTE]

I can't really comment since I haven't seen it yet, but maybe since they kinda have a history together (Satch being Vai's guitar teacher) possibly that has something to do with them hangin' together on stage like that. But I agree, it's sad that John Petrucci was a bit left out in the cold.:(

BTW, thanks I'll let you know my thoughts on the dvd Friday night after I've watched it.

Neil

:( Went to pick up my "G3 Live In Tokyo" dvd and was told it won't arrive until next Friday. DOH!

Anyway, I had a browse around and picked up KISS's new dvd "Rock The Nation" and it's pretty cool.:)

Neil

:( Went to pick up my "G3 Live In Tokyo" dvd and was told it won't arrive until next Friday. DOH!

Anyway, I had a browse around and picked up KISS's new dvd "Rock The Nation" and it's pretty cool.:)

Neil

That's a shame -- you're really missing out on a great performance (three, actually). But stay on their butts and make absolutely sure they set aside a copy for you -- word's getting out on "G3: Tokyo" and I seriously doubt a lot of places are going to have enough in stock to satisfy demand. Then again, Vai, Satch, and Petrucci aren't exactly household names (fortunately for us :P ) so who knows...

Only one thing I do not like about the dvd: the menu doesn't afford you the luxury of playing the tunes you want to hear in the order you want -- there's really no "song selection" option. You have to view/listen to the songs in the order in which they're played. For instance, if you wanted to get to the latter stage of the concert when the three of them are jamming to "Smoke on the Water", your only option is to fast-forward to that song.

Anyway, I'm still glad I was able to find it: it was the last copy the store had.

Bob

A great guitar solo is not about speed or technique. There are plenty of hammering, speed fingers out there doing boring solos. A great solo becomes the "voice" of the song and elevates the core soul of it.

(...)

I totally agree with this one mate. There are NUMEROUS great soloists out there: Vai, Petrucci, Satriani, Johnson and MANY more... And there even more great solos... But it's as Carlos Santana said: "It's no good, unless it makes me cry..."

On that note I'd have to say "Goodnight Kiss" by Dream Theater's John Petrucci. Solo lasts about half the song. It's technically demanding, but not even THAT hard. It just sounded so "right" to me and actually DID make me cry :oops:

One of my favs. I recommend listening to it, even though you probably won't understand what my fuss was about...

De Gustibus Non Disputandum... :)

On that note I'd have to say "Goodnight Kiss" by Dream Theater's John Petrucci. Solo lasts about half the song. It's technically demanding, but not even THAT hard. It just sounded so "right" to me and actually DID make me cry :oops:

Do you mean "Glasgow Kiss?" If so, I agree wholeheartedly. It's on the G3 dvd I mentioned in this thread. Awesome instrumental...

Bob

Nope, I'm sure it's called "Goodnight Kiss". Actually it's part V of a larger theme song and title track called "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". It's one of those albums that really grows on you :)

But you're right about the G3 thingy. Those three must be my fav guitarists out there. I've managed to get hold of some of the songs and am seriously considering on getting that DVD. And wouldn't mind getting the Johnson one either... If I can find those, that is :P

And on a sidenote (and I beg you guys not to stone me to death) I've never actually heard/seen Steve Vai's final solo in the Crossroads movie (yet!) Am I missing something in my guitar education? :rolleyes:

Well yea, I double-checked and it appears to be a track on his latest solo album "Suspended Animation". So yes, that should answer your question, and no, unfortunately I don't have the CD and haven't heard the song :(

Funny tho, I heard the name before, but somehow subconsciously connected it to Eric Johnson (Cliffs of Dover - Glasgow Kiss... whatever :P ) He DID do a G3 as well... so hence my confusion :rolleyes:

Does he really have a song called 'Glasgow kiss'?
He sures does...

matter of fact, I'm watching him do it right now on the "G3:Tokyo" dvd. :thumbup1:

Makes ya kinda proud, being from Scotland and all, doesn't it?

What?!?...can't hear you...you'll have to speak up!

Makes ya kinda proud, being from Scotland and all, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, no. A Glasgow kiss is a charming local expression for a headbutt. Still, I suppose it's a bit better than a Malky.

I think I'll check that track out though.

Unfortunately, no. A Glasgow kiss is a charming local expression for a headbutt. Still, I suppose it's a bit better than a Malky.

A charming local expression for a "headbutt?!" Odd...I wonder why Petrucci would name an instrumental after something like that... Maybe he thought it just sounded good and he figured no one's going to ask anyway.

And what's a "Malky?" Or do I even want to know the answer to that one?

Bob

Back to the original question. Right now, I think my favorite guitar solo is Danny Kirwan's on "Something Inside of Me," on Fleetwood Mac's Shrine '69. So much raw emotion in the the sustain that gets me every time.

Personally, even though they did great work apart, when Danny Kirwan and Peter Green were together they brought the best out of each other.

Rick

Man, it's hard to come up with a "best" but probably one of my favorites is Clapton's solo on Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad from the Derek and the Dominoes live album. It's a masterpiece. Another Clapton solo that ranks right up there is on My Father's Eyes on the One More Car, One More Rider CD.

Heartbreaker by Led Zep. Love Jimmy's solo in that song.

Yep, that's a good one. I like how on some of the live recordings of Heartbreaker he sometimes plays part of Bach's Bouree in E minor.