sale

Best Guitar Solo

RockaBilly    0

That's going to be a matter of opinion so you should really say what's your fav. :)

Now it's hard for me to say what's my fav solo or the best but I like Buck Dharma's solos a lot.

coldethyl    0

IMO I think that "Comfortably Numb" by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd and "Stairway To Heaven" by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin must rank up their as being the best or at least among the best.

micklen    0
you saw him in concert or a recording?

This was on a video unfortunately :(

WELL after the Beatles broke up

I did see the Beatles on stage in 63 in Northampton though at the tender age of 13

Some experience :eek:

It is a fact though that a lot, of not most, of the performances of WMGGW did feature Clapton

Str8Axe    0

There's so many nice solo's out there. One that comes to mind for me, which many people may not agree with is the fill in "Lake of Fire" off the Nirvana Unplugged disc. Although not a very technical solo, it'll still make the little hairs on my neck stand up.

gravitas    0

I like Zakk Wylde's version of Snowblind, now that's some magical stuff. My personal favourite, actually.

But otherwise, you've got the Floyd Canon (Shine on you Crazy Diamond being the crème de la crème), most of Mark Knopfler's stuff, Eric Johnson on Classical Soul (because hey, there only is one instrument). I love the solo on Wading in the Velvet Sea by Trey Anastasion (Phish). Dimebag Darrell was excellent on the Pantera cover of Planet Caravan. Shows off his range, y'know? Solo on No Quarter I like way more than on Stairway. Robbie Robertson on the Band's King Harvest (Has Surely Come) was very good. Pinchy, eh? And a lot of the new groups are really killer. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez sounds good for the majority of the new MV album, specially those wasted bends in the Widow and the latter, punchy pieces of Cassandra Gemini.

Best guitar solo is just too subjective a term... If we were to take that literally, I could just say Speed Metal Symphony with Vai and Malmsteen and be done with it. Or really anything of Allan Van Wert practicing (http://www.musichopper.com/video.html#mid = mindless shredtertainment), because they really are the peak of technical prowess. Best solo could be any one of a vast plethora of equally deserving solos. I mean, I didn't even get to mention Hendrix or Santana. What the hell, eh?

tpolitz    0

So many I can think of but Stevie Ray Vaughn has been a favorite of mine for quite sometime, any solo he does is awesome.

Edit: Any solo he "did" was awesome....

justinthyme    3

May not rank up there with the all-time greats, but I just have to mention the solo Carlos Santana did live at Woodstock 1969, in Soul Sacrifice - incidentally right after my favourite drum break of all time (Graham Lear). I just love that Woodstock DVD! I believe Santana was paid $1500 for his appearance, plus $750 for movie rights.

Um ... peace, man.

LeeB    0

Hard enough to define solo let alone pick just one. "Surfing with the Alien" (the entire CD) by Satriani stands out for me... "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson is another. Then there is ''Euruption" by EVH .. or what about his contribution to the "Beat it" video by Michael Jackson.... then there is John Bonam's Moby Dick.. Oh yeah ..I forgot Guitar solo :)

bashea    0

A great guitar solo is not about speed or technique. There are plenty of hammering, speed fingers out there doing boring solos. A great solo becomes the "voice" of the song and elevates the core soul of it.

Examples:

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd): "Mother"

Greg Lake (ELP): "Karn Evil 9, Ist Impression, Part 2"

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin): "Stairway to Heaven"

Then there's Carlos Santana and his PRS, which IS the voice of so many songs, such as "Samba Pa Ti".

Check'em out boys and girls.

Ledhead V-2    0

Too many to list, but here's a few I'm personally fond of:

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Evil And Here To Stay - Jeff Healey

Bad Horsie - Steve Vai

Dazed & Confused - Led Zeppelin

Crazy Train - Randy Rhoads

Slow Ride - Foghat

Crossroads - Clapton

Dreams - Duane Allman

Poundcake - Van Halen

Stranglehold - Ted Nugent

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns & Roses

Freeway Jam - Jeff Beck

gravitas    0

I'm surprised that no one's even mentioned John McLaughlin. I was never too big on fusion, but he's written some good stuff (at least, when he's not professionally wanking his guitar all over the band).

chammon    0

It's subjective for sure but I have a recording of Chet Atkins rendition of 'Recuerdos de la al Hambra' recorded during a live concert in Paris, which was absolutely flawless and brought down the house.

coldethyl    0

Chet Atkins was an amazing guitarist. Have you heard him do 3 tunes in one song? It's absolutely mind blowing. The name of the song escapes me for now, but it was quite clever the way he did it anyway.