Hilch

Drums

Hi good people

I have heard alot of people posting their work lately and I am curious as to where you get the drums from ? Surely not all of you play the drums as well ???

Please tell me there is free down load site that you guys access ...

Please ?

Trev..

I program drum tracks using MIDI and then use the MIDI tracks to trigger a software sampler (MachFIVE). I sometimes start with a MIDI drum track generated by Band-In-A-Box, but I usually find I have to edit it quite a bit to get what I want. Then I still trigger the drum samples. I usually record each drum part on it's own track for maximum flexibility when mixing. So I start with MIDI, use it to trigger samples, then record that on audio tracks. I spend hours on drums and I've spent years working with drum machines, MIDI drums, trigger pads, samples...

A good drum track is worth the trouble.

Hilch, try searching for 'drum loops' or drum freeware. I use a drum machine for stuff, but...I seem to recall some freeware drum software somewhere.

Anyhow else know what's good to use?

Hey Trev, I had a search through past threads and found these.

Hope you find something to your liking.

I don't know if I can highlight the links posted in those particular threads so I'll just point you in the direction of those threads and you can browse through yourself.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110&highlight=drum

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6143&highlight=drum

Thanks for all the links people

I'm working my way through them to find one I can understand ,,,That might take awhile I don't even know what a loop is properly but I am slowly learning more and more ..

cheers

Trev....

Cool man.

A loop is just a term for a sequence of various beats and patterns that can be repeated. Like a certain kick/snare/hihat pattern for the verses of a song for instance, and you just repeat it for each verse. That way you don't have to write every single beat out from song-start to finish.

Well...that's the way I understand it. I don't have loops per se on my drum machine, so it's just about drum patterns and then sticking 'em together to get a complete song.

Hi everybody

I have just down loaded HammerHead , to make my own backing tracks ..

What a noob I am , How on Earth do I make a track say 4/4 beat I know I have to bring the tempo down to say about 90 b p m , but how do I get it sounding like a drum and not some sort Techno from outer space crap ...

Just want to make a track that I can play along with and improve my timeing ..

Helpsssss please

Trev,,

I downloaded Hammerhead but found that the sounds were mostly techno and not your standard drums. At least that's the way it seemed me.

That's why I use Leafdrums. I was able to find a zip file with a bunch of "real" drum sounds to load into it since the basic sounds that come with it are very "midi-ish" sounding. It is also much more flexible and easier to use than Hammerhead for making a full song. If I can find the link for the zip file, I'll post it.

Here are some links to drum programs that I, and some others that use the Kristal Audio Engine use, or have used, with good results...

Hotstepper

HammerHead

Leaf Drums 2.33

And some decent drum samples to use with them.

ns_kit7free

You can swap out the sounds in the programs, just check out the help files...

And here are some links to some drum loops.....

DOD 120bpm

And 2 from Smart Loops....HERE and HERE.

Hope this helps some!

Trev - I've been using Leaf Drums. It takes a bit of experimenting, but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to program a shuffle beat into it, but finally got it sussed. Leaf Drums was what I used on the song I recently posted in the recording forum.

Trev - I've been using Leaf Drums. It takes a bit of experimenting, but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to program a shuffle beat into it, but finally got it sussed. Leaf Drums was what I used on the song I recently posted in the recording forum.

Is that something which can be easily explained by any chance? I tried to get a shuffle beat from it too but never got anything I was really happy with.

Is that something which can be easily explained by any chance?...

737blues - Check out the attached screenshot - it may help even more than trying to explain it. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. :) The darker-colored dots are accented beats (right-click on them to "toggle accent"). The tricky part wasn't so much getting the beat - it was setting up the timing so it looped correctly without a gap. Hope this helps!

4543.attach

Thanks Again good people

I'm trying to get something happening with Leaf at the moment ...

Man I know so little

Trev...

Trev - I just jumped into Leaf Drums and created a 90 bpm loop in 4/4 - easy as pie. I've attached a screenshot so you can see how I did it. Hope this helps! If you want the Leaf Drums file itself to play with, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

When you're looking at the grid, think of counting the beat....the heavy lines are the '1' in each measure (whole notes). The next lighter lines are '2', '3' and '4' (quarter notes). The light lines in-between, which you get by clicking the "Fine Grid" checkbox, are sixteenth notes (count "one-e-and-a-two-e-and-a-three-e-and-a-four-e-and-ah...."). It really helps to tap out the rhythm as you're thinking about it, and figure out where each beat will fall - then just click there in Leaf Drums with whichever sound you want it to be. To set the tempo, just click on the box where it says "Tempo", and a text box will pop up letting you set the bpm and time signature. Check the "Loop" box if you want it to loop (i.e. if you're going to play along with it and just want the same beat over and over).

4552.attach

StratRat

I've done what you have except for one thing ,

20rde_orde_30

Where do I find tht one man ?//?

trev>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>help

Trev - that one came from the Natural Sounds kit from the link that Smurf42 posted HERE (the ns_kit FREE). Unofrtunately, I just visited their website in an effort to get a link to direct you to, and it looks like the link to their freeware kit is broken. :( I don't know if they're not offering the freebie anymore or if it's just a temporary glitch.

Ok I have a drum pattern now thanks to Stratrat ..

But how do I loop the track in Audacity so it goes longer ?

I can loop it in audacity to play it shift & play , but I want to record it as well as me murdering a guitar ..

Suggestions ?

Trev..

Trev - open it back up in Leaf Drums. Up in the top part of the window where it says "Song", click on "Select", then left-click on the little brown '1' (first bar). Now click on "Paste", and left-click on the second bar. Now left click on the third bar, and so on until you have the number of bars of drums you want. Once you've done that, right click at the end of the last bar you've copied so that the thick orange line is at the far right of it. Listen to it to make sure that it plays the entire duration you want (it will only play whatever's between the thick orange lines). Now use the "Write" command to export it as a .wav file. Done!

Thanks Stratrat

A mate of mine laid down a bass track and told me what chords to play over the top of it . Stay tuned I am working hard on this I just have to learn to S L O W down with my strumming ..

Thanks again

Trev...