"What amp should I get?" guide by Jessica

44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Agent, this Peavey Classic 30 is right in your neck of the woods....

http://tampa.craigsl.../302181759.html

The other link....

http://www.musicians...-DSP?sku=487787

#22 OFFLINE   jimmyzowens

• Active Members

• 344 posts
  • Joined 07-January 07

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

6) Tube vs. Solid state. You will see a lot of discussion and arguments over this issue. You will see people who you may rightly figure are a lot better players than you saying that you can't get that sound out of a SS amp. Don't take it to heart because you aren't going to get "that sound" out of any amp at this stage. If you feel compelled to go tube right away then you will be throwing out the whole FX in an amp category and will need to take the pedal route. So keep that in mind.

im just wondering about this post it seem ur saying that if you go tube you have no effects but pedals ? i just got a vox valvetronics and they say its a tube amp and it has a ton of effects .. did i get jyped or am i just miss informed
Jimmy Z

Music is only limited to how deep the twine of life is woven into your soul

#23 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

The Vox Valvetronics is what they call a hybrid I believe. The pre-amp is digital allowing for a ton of great effects and amp models. There is a tube in the power amp so you can get that tube "warmth" and "over driven" sound.

Not sure exactly how it works but they are great amps.

Mike

#24 OFFLINE   SlickCat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,649 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Amps...I had a 60watt Crate solid state combo; Gallien Krueger 120watt solid state combo; Peavey Musician head and 4x12 cab solid state; Marshall 50watt tube head and 2x12 cab; Mesa Blue Angel tube 40watt combo; Mesa subway blues tube 20watt combo; Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb tube amp; and now own a hand built repro of a Fender tweed deluxe tube amp.
I guess my point is I have seached for the tones I love over the years and some of these amps gave me exactly what I was looking for. My advice is buy something with good resale value (Brand Name) because no matter what you get you will soon trade it for something else. If you need a all around amp that can get lots of sounds tones and effects I would recommend the Vox Valvetronic line. They are a hybrid tube/digital amp and they sound great, and cover all kinds of tones. Once you find the tone your looking for and wattage needed,then upgrade to that particular amp you prefer.

#25 OFFLINE   bigfinger23

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 01-January 07

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

All the information was very helpfull thanks

#26 OFFLINE   kaka

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 15-June 07

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

thanks Fly and JEssica for these valuable info. :winkthumb:

#27 OFFLINE   sam_railkar

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 12-January 07

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the info. It really helped.
I know what amp to get now. But, I had 1 question.
Can I buy just an amp now and but the pedals in the future?
OR
Do I have to get everything together. As long as the pedal I buy in the future is compatible to my amp, I shud be fine. Correct?

#28 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

sam_railkar said:

...I know what amp to get now. But, I had 1 question.
Can I buy just an amp now and but the pedals in the future?
OR
Do I have to get everything together. As long as the pedal I buy in the future is compatible to my amp, I shud be fine. Correct?
Yep. You can start off with just the amp, and buy the pedals later. As far as compatibility, any effects pedal is compatible with any amp. Some may sound better than others with a particular amp (which is very much a matter of personal opinion and experimentation), but they all have the same cable jacks and will fit any amp.

BTW, which amp did you decide on?
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#29 OFFLINE   sam_railkar

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 12-January 07

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

Stratrat: Thanks a lot. You might find this question dumb. But, I am new to all this.
Is a pedal same as a foot-switch? Or is a foot-switch needed in order to use a pedal? Thanks once again.

#30 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

The term footswitch is frequently used to describe a box with 1 or more switches used to control channel and FX switching on an amp. There are other devices including FX units that can use footswitches. Footswitches are just switches that sometimes have circuitry that allows muxing switch signals on less wires.

Pedals generally are standalone units that are used to color your tone. They have switches and knobs on them. Oddly enough a pedal is not always a pedal at all in the sense that a pedal is something you push with your foot like a volume pedal. It's a generic term used to refer to all individual tone coloring devices. The term "expression" pedal is used to refer to a pedal on a multiFX unit that can be used to control volume, wah, and other FX. Or it can be a standalone volume-like pedal that is plugged into another unit for controlling parameters.

#31 OFFLINE   sam_railkar

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 12-January 07

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I am buying my 1st electric guitar (Fender Strat) and my 1st amp (VOXAD30VT) next month. This forum has helped me immensely.

#32 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Congrats, Sam - that should be a very nice rig. Be sure to post some pics when you get it!
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#33 OFFLINE   s1120

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 30-December 07

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

sam_railkar said:

Thank you so much for your help. I am buying my 1st electric guitar (Fender Strat) and my 1st amp (VOXAD30VT) next month. This forum has helped me immensely.

Did you get it? Thats the same combo I am running!

#34 OFFLINE   JessThrasher

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

How come no one has the VOXAD15VT? Everyone wants the 30 watt one?
"Remember to eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends." - Rusty Cooley
"You can't play an instrument for the technicality of it. It's a tool you use it to get what's in here and here [heart and mind] out there." - Marten Hagstrom, Meshuggah

#35 OFFLINE   D-Dawn

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,995 posts
  • Joined 23-May 06

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

hermanli_ibanezshredder said:

How come no one has the VOXAD15VT? Everyone wants the 30 watt one?

I had it, but took it back...clean just didn't ever sound very, clean :dunno:
If everything has a point, well then I must have one, too.
♥Yamaha LL-6♥

#36 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

It has been a long time since I looked at the 15 watt model of the Vox. If I recall the big difference for me was the built in attenuator (sp?) that will allow you to lower the output wattage (volume) and still get overdrive sound from the tube. Which is a nice way of saying you won't blow the neighbors out of their bedrooms.

Definately worth the $50 in price for that and the bigger speaker.

But you need to test both out (as well as any other amp) to make sure they give the tone (and enjoyment) that you are looking for.

Michael

#37 OFFLINE   Noodler

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

Would you guys consider a Vox Ad30VT or 50VT as gig-worthy?

BTW, it is a solid-state amp. It does have a single 12AX7 (which is a small tube normally used in the pre-amp). That small valve is used in the power amp section, but not as a power-amp tube. It is used to help modify the models to be more realistic (class A, always on, or class AB, variable). So it's called "valve reactor technology." The valve part is a bit of a sales pitch. Having said that, I'd really like to own one.

Any comments on Fender tube amps? Is it worth it to save for a Bassman reissue or is a HotRod Deluxe OK? I totally agree that buying an amp with a "name" is a good idea for resale. That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a Fender valve amp. Also when you see an add for a "Fender Deluxe Reverb" is that a Fender Deluxe? Sounds obvious, but a lot of the names are similar eg there are solid state and valve Princetons, Vibroverb, Vibrolux. I'm confused. :dunno:

#38 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I guess it all depends on the size of your GIG....lol

The ADV30VT and 50VT are plenty loud. Will it handle the Sydney Opera House without help? Probably not. I'm assuming here that you are talking volume and not durability.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville are most certainly gig worthy as is the Twin Reverb.

Let your ears do the deciding.

Mike
(if your neighbors aren't calling the police, it's not loud enough)

#39 OFFLINE   Noodler

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, I'm talking loud enough for the local golf club bistro, supporting at a pub, etc.

It's hard to know what the HotRod series is supposed to be. It is the same wattage as other Fender amps that cost twice and 3 times as much. Is it "entry-level"? Why would you spring for a Pro reverb for $3K, when you can get similar specs in a HR Deluxe for under $1500? Or more to the point, if a good Fender-sounding amp costs $3K, are you only getting a pale imitation in a $1400 one?

Reason I ask is that $1400 is a lot to spend for something that sounds "a bit like" something else. You can get a modelling amp to do that for a lot less. Do you think it is worth the money to save for the next level up? ($3K) What do you get for the extra dough?

#40 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

Being in the equipment lease finance business I always believe that equipment should pay for itself. You don't buy a $3K piece of equipment to earn $2K. From a pure business standpoint you'll have to do the math. How many gigs, what do you earn per, etc etc etc.

Then again, if you don't spend the money and you sound awful, you might not get to the point of getting regular gigs. I'm sure that there are regular gigging players here that will have better answers.

Remember that in business calculations "cause it's cool" has no tangible value.... yet might sway many decisions regardless of the math.

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users