JessThrasher

"What amp should I get?" guide by Jessica

sam_railkar    0

Thanks for the info. It really helped.

I know what amp to get now. But, I had 1 question.

Can I buy just an amp now and but the pedals in the future?

OR

Do I have to get everything together. As long as the pedal I buy in the future is compatible to my amp, I shud be fine. Correct?

Stratrat    0
...I know what amp to get now. But, I had 1 question.

Can I buy just an amp now and but the pedals in the future?

OR

Do I have to get everything together. As long as the pedal I buy in the future is compatible to my amp, I shud be fine. Correct?

Yep. You can start off with just the amp, and buy the pedals later. As far as compatibility, any effects pedal is compatible with any amp. Some may sound better than others with a particular amp (which is very much a matter of personal opinion and experimentation), but they all have the same cable jacks and will fit any amp.

BTW, which amp did you decide on?

sam_railkar    0

Stratrat: Thanks a lot. You might find this question dumb. But, I am new to all this.

Is a pedal same as a foot-switch? Or is a foot-switch needed in order to use a pedal? Thanks once again.

fly135    5

The term footswitch is frequently used to describe a box with 1 or more switches used to control channel and FX switching on an amp. There are other devices including FX units that can use footswitches. Footswitches are just switches that sometimes have circuitry that allows muxing switch signals on less wires.

Pedals generally are standalone units that are used to color your tone. They have switches and knobs on them. Oddly enough a pedal is not always a pedal at all in the sense that a pedal is something you push with your foot like a volume pedal. It's a generic term used to refer to all individual tone coloring devices. The term "expression" pedal is used to refer to a pedal on a multiFX unit that can be used to control volume, wah, and other FX. Or it can be a standalone volume-like pedal that is plugged into another unit for controlling parameters.

s1120    0
Thank you so much for your help. I am buying my 1st electric guitar (Fender Strat) and my 1st amp (VOXAD30VT) next month. This forum has helped me immensely.

Did you get it? Thats the same combo I am running!

D-Dawn    0
How come no one has the VOXAD15VT? Everyone wants the 30 watt one?

I had it, but took it back...clean just didn't ever sound very, clean :dunno:

Mike8307    0

It has been a long time since I looked at the 15 watt model of the Vox. If I recall the big difference for me was the built in attenuator (sp?) that will allow you to lower the output wattage (volume) and still get overdrive sound from the tube. Which is a nice way of saying you won't blow the neighbors out of their bedrooms.

Definately worth the $50 in price for that and the bigger speaker.

But you need to test both out (as well as any other amp) to make sure they give the tone (and enjoyment) that you are looking for.

Michael

Noodler    1

Would you guys consider a Vox Ad30VT or 50VT as gig-worthy?

BTW, it is a solid-state amp. It does have a single 12AX7 (which is a small tube normally used in the pre-amp). That small valve is used in the power amp section, but not as a power-amp tube. It is used to help modify the models to be more realistic (class A, always on, or class AB, variable). So it's called "valve reactor technology." The valve part is a bit of a sales pitch. Having said that, I'd really like to own one.

Any comments on Fender tube amps? Is it worth it to save for a Bassman reissue or is a HotRod Deluxe OK? I totally agree that buying an amp with a "name" is a good idea for resale. That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a Fender valve amp. Also when you see an add for a "Fender Deluxe Reverb" is that a Fender Deluxe? Sounds obvious, but a lot of the names are similar eg there are solid state and valve Princetons, Vibroverb, Vibrolux. I'm confused. :dunno:

Mike8307    0

I guess it all depends on the size of your GIG....lol

The ADV30VT and 50VT are plenty loud. Will it handle the Sydney Opera House without help? Probably not. I'm assuming here that you are talking volume and not durability.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville are most certainly gig worthy as is the Twin Reverb.

Let your ears do the deciding.

Mike

(if your neighbors aren't calling the police, it's not loud enough)

Noodler    1

Yeah, I'm talking loud enough for the local golf club bistro, supporting at a pub, etc.

It's hard to know what the HotRod series is supposed to be. It is the same wattage as other Fender amps that cost twice and 3 times as much. Is it "entry-level"? Why would you spring for a Pro reverb for $3K, when you can get similar specs in a HR Deluxe for under $1500? Or more to the point, if a good Fender-sounding amp costs $3K, are you only getting a pale imitation in a $1400 one?

Reason I ask is that $1400 is a lot to spend for something that sounds "a bit like" something else. You can get a modelling amp to do that for a lot less. Do you think it is worth the money to save for the next level up? ($3K) What do you get for the extra dough?

Mike8307    0

Being in the equipment lease finance business I always believe that equipment should pay for itself. You don't buy a $3K piece of equipment to earn $2K. From a pure business standpoint you'll have to do the math. How many gigs, what do you earn per, etc etc etc.

Then again, if you don't spend the money and you sound awful, you might not get to the point of getting regular gigs. I'm sure that there are regular gigging players here that will have better answers.

Remember that in business calculations "cause it's cool" has no tangible value.... yet might sway many decisions regardless of the math.

Mike

Stratrat    0
Yeah, I'm talking loud enough for the local golf club bistro, supporting at a pub, etc.

It's hard to know what the HotRod series is supposed to be. It is the same wattage as other Fender amps that cost twice and 3 times as much. Is it "entry-level"? Why would you spring for a Pro reverb for $3K, when you can get similar specs in a HR Deluxe for under $1500? Or more to the point, if a good Fender-sounding amp costs $3K, are you only getting a pale imitation in a $1400 one?

Reason I ask is that $1400 is a lot to spend for something that sounds "a bit like" something else. You can get a modelling amp to do that for a lot less. Do you think it is worth the money to save for the next level up? ($3K) What do you get for the extra dough?

Fender touts the Deluxe Reverb as "one of the most recorded amps in the history of music". Many, many people have gigged with Deluxe Reverbs, Bassmans (Bassmen?), Twin Reverbs, etc. over the years - all of which are well below that $3K mark for the top end models.

If I had $3K to spend on an amp, it certainly wouldn't be spent on a Fender. There are many "boutique" amp builders that sell far better amps for that kind of money - or less! (Dr. Z, Fuchs, Carr, /13, Bogner, 65 Amps, Swart - just to name a few).

BTW - A Pro Reverb can be had for a lot less than $3K. I recently saw a used '68 vintage model that sold for $1500 in one of the local shops.

"What you get for the bucks" on the higher-end amps is usually hand-built/hand-soldered point-to-point / tag board wiring instead of mass-produced machine built/wave-soldered printed circuit boards; higher-quality components (capacitors, resistors, transformers, etc.); higher-end speakers; better cabinet materials, etc. Is it worth the extra outlay? That's a question that each of us can only answer for ourselves. I own a couple of fairly nice amps - their tone is great, but the weak link is that it's still my playing coming out of their speakers! :yes:

bugly    0
Fender touts the Deluxe Reverb as "one of the most recorded amps in the history of music". Many, many people have gigged with Deluxe Reverbs, Bassmans (Bassmen?), Twin Reverbs, etc. over the years - all of which are well below that $3K mark for the top end models.

If I had $3K to spend on an amp, it certainly wouldn't be spent on a Fender. There are many "boutique" amp builders that sell far better amps for that kind of money - or less! (Dr. Z, Fuchs, Carr, /13, Bogner, 65 Amps, Swart - just to name a few).

BTW - A Pro Reverb can be had for a lot less than $3K. I recently saw a used '68 vintage model that sold for $1500 in one of the local shops.

"What you get for the bucks" on the higher-end amps is usually hand-built/hand-soldered point-to-point / tag board wiring instead of mass-produced machine built/wave-soldered printed circuit boards; higher-quality components (capacitors, resistors, transformers, etc.); higher-end speakers; better cabinet materials, etc. Is it worth the extra outlay? That's a question that each of us can only answer for ourselves. I own a couple of fairly nice amps - their tone is great, but the weak link is that it's still my playing coming out of their speakers! :yes:

Unfortuantly here in Australia the prices are a LOT higher :reallymad:

Noodler    1

Yeah, Stratrat's just forgotten...although you can get a new 65 FDR Reissue for about A$2200 if you shop around. To compare, on Bananas you can get a Princeton Recording amp for under $1000US. You will not get one for under A$3000 in Australia. They are rare as hens' teeth. Here's a link to an example of a shop with what is considered a wide range and the cheapest prices where we live:

Electric Guitar Amps - Amplifiers

Have a look at the prices for something sweet like a Bad Cat.:crying2:

People in the US are blessed. I would not be able to find a 65 amps or more to my taste, a Dr Z in Brisbane, if Australia. I looked. The American market is so big people can just go to a shop and buy cool stuff for a lot less mark-up. You can stay in the same country and get pedals modded, etc. You've just got so much variety. Except for the web, if you lived in Australia, you'd probably think the only amp makers were Fender, Marshall, Vox, Line 6 and the only effects were Boss, pretty much. It's all mass-market. The closest we get to boutique is pretty much the hand-wired Vox AC15 (still made in China).

We do have one shop where you can get cooler stuff (Tyms) but it's not cheap either. But they may have things like Indyguitarist, Way Huge, old MIJ Boss, BYOC. I was able to track down a Plextortion for A$300, so that's pretty cool.:)

----End Rant----:winkthumb:

As for valve amps, IMO the Tiny Terror or similar can't be beat (of what we have to chose from, Stratrat). You need something small that you can crank loud enough for power tube distortion. I love my H&K Statesman (20W), but it rarely goes past 1.

Heck, buy a Champ 600 or some other little 5 watter for tubey sounds, and just grab a Vox AD30VT for the rest of the time. Save some money.

I own a couple of fairly nice amps - their tone is great, but the weak link is that it's still my playing coming out of their speakers!
You could afford them and enjoy their tone, that's the main thing! :yes: IMO, collecting gear/ building a rig is its own hobby. I know we both dig it. At the end of the day, you can crank a Tiny Terror on 7 watts, maximum gain and play some simple pentatonic thing or power chords and it's going to sound great. :yes: