Berserker22

Home Recording Setup Query

Guitar ---> Mixer ---> Soundcard ---> Monitors

Bass

Keyboard ---> (Berringer Xenyx 1204FX) --->(Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro) --->Yamaha HS50M

Mic

Etc.

Is this an OK configuration? Am I missing anything? Would running the soundcard to a stereo receiver....then the monitors be of help...or....is that unnecessary?

And for recording I've purchased Adobe Audition. Will the software apply itself (self-configure) to my hardware settings. Will most of the mixing control then be with Audition or will it still be with the physical mixer.....or both?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure your help will assist many newbies like me in the recording realm.

Thank you all,

Gil

If you are recording all your tracks at once, and using a stereo out from the mixer into the soundcard, then you will have to mix/pan everything at the desk..

If you are multi tracking it, then you will mix everything with Audition..

Ive never had a drama with Audition not working on any hardware, im certain it will work with Creative stuff... It worked with my slightly less common Layla full multi track support, didnt have to change a single setting..

Auditions a damn nice bit of software..

-Matty

Personally id run monitors way over running home stereo gear..

After mixing/etc, i recomend playing it through a few different setups, (say DVD player through TV and or surround, headphones, car, home hi-fi etc), gives a better idea how its going to sound for other people.

Terrific.....much less complicating and much less clutter on my desk. I must say it is ton of fun...and I've just scratched the surface. Thanks again for your help and prompt reply.

Gil

Do you think that running this system through a stereo would be beneficial or will the mixer to soundcard to monitors be sufficient?

That depends on the monitors and the stereo. What kind of monitors do you have?

For mixing you want a speaker system that is neutral (or as close as possible) so you can hear what the music actually sounds like... Whether it's good or bad. ;) Stereo speakers are usually made to sound "good" by boosting certain frequencies (like the lows and highs). These speakers aren't great for mixing because what you are hearing and basing your mixing decisions is not what the music sounds like. The result of this is that the music will sound great on your speakers, but will not translate well to other systems.

By using "flat" studio monitors, your mixes will sound better on other speakers because you won't be mixing to over compensating for what your speakers are adding to your music.

Now, if your monitors aren't flat, or they're too small and can't accurally replicate the bass frequencies (like the uber small KRK monitors), then you may be better off using the stereo to mix.... But again that depends on the stereo. ;) Basically, you want a speaker system that is as close to neutral as you can get, whether it be stereo speakers, monitors, etc.

If you have good studio monitors, then these will definitely be the best choice. I mixed for a few years on stereo speakers and I noticed a HUGE difference when I finally upgraded to a set of nice studio monitors. :winkthumb:

-tkr

The monitors are Yamaha HS50M 70w. Not the best, but a big upgrade on the little computer speakers I had on my desk. Do you also use your monitors for music listening, or, are they designated strictly for recording, mixing?

Gil

I use a stereo for mine. But that's because I'm too cheap to spring for monitors. Those Yamahas look pretty decent. $200 each isn't chump change.

BTW, check out the stupid deal of the day at MF. Kirk has a link on the side bar. For $39 you can get this.... (see the video)

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/storm/media.html

I picked it up after checking out the video. Looks like a lot of fun and won't break the bank.

Home recording is easy. All you need is to throw a few thousand dollars at it, and give it 5 to 10 years. :P

Give the man a cigar. He just summed it up in one sentence :winkthumb::claping:

The monitors are Yamaha HS50M 70w. Not the best, but a big upgrade on the little computer speakers I had on my desk.

I think those will work just fine. I read some stuff about them on the homerecording.com forum and most seemed to say that they weren't the greatest but not bad either. Considering that most of the folks there consider $400-$500 to be the bottom end of "GOOD" monitors, I think those Yamaha's faired up rather well. :D

Do you also use your monitors for music listening, or, are they designated strictly for recording, mixing?

Yes, I listen to music on them also. In fact, listening to professionally mixed music on the same monitors you mix on is the best way to learn how your music should sound like on them. So listen to as much music as you can on them. :winkthumb:

-tkr