ctrlaltf

Cracked guitar

ctrlaltf    0

I took my guitar back to the store as a crack developed in the front.

About 1m.m. wide, almost cosmetic.

From bottom of face across the bridge to 1 inch from the sound hole.

To ME the sound was thrown off. Especially on the D & G strings.

They run right through the middle of the bridge (& crack) too.

Even though it was new I was told that a very dry environment could have done the damage.

IS there a way to repair this?

allthumbs    8

How long have you had it? If it is still under warranty, make them give you a new one. It takes a lot of environmental damage to crack a guitar. Electric heating is the worst. We need more info. What brand is it.

ctrlaltf    0
How long have you had it? If it is still under warranty, make them give you a new one. It takes a lot of environmental damage to crack a guitar. Electric heating is the worst. We need more info. What brand is it.

Its a Cordoba Classical guitar Model cp110.

I did buy it in winter, and its 3 months old.

(and yeah... I do use an electric heater as well as the radiator in NYC).

I purchased an extended warrantee for an extra 20 bucks.

So they will reimburse me.

Not only that..they didn't want the guitar back!

So now I will have an extra guitar.

I can live with that. :D

However I am hoping It can be fixed.

Mike8307    0

It can probably be fixed with a spline and a blind patch (inside the guitar) but you might notice a sound difference. More importantly you need to invest in a humidifier for your guitar. Do a search.. there are a few threads here about them. Someone mentioned a damp sponge inside a ziplock bag with pin holes punched in the bag. The dry conditions created by winter and electric heaters can really do some damage to anything made of wood.

Michael

allthumbs    8

I have a 1921 dobro with a huge crack along the back. I'm getting it fixed this summer. My tech guy said it is no big deal to fix so it may not be as costly as you think. Sounds like you really have to baby your guitar where you live. When in doubt take precautions.

ctrlaltf    0

Great piece of info you sent thanks.

Can I find more details on the sponge and bag solution?

Yeah.... I gotta baby my next guitar.

I made a Which Guitar I Should Get? POST.

Hope to hear your comments.

Ballard    0

I dunno about that, allthumbs. I live in NYC and I've never had a problem with the weather affecting my guitars. It gets awfully hot and humid in the summer, and extremely cold in the winter. However, dry conditions are rare here, so that shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

allthumbs    8
I dunno about that, allthumbs. I live in NYC and I've never had a problem with the weather affecting my guitars. It gets awfully hot and humid in the summer, and extremely cold in the winter. However, dry conditions are rare here, so that shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

I agree that a crack in your guitar is a little extreme for 3 months, but electric heating can really dry out a guitar fast. I personally think the guitar was defective from the start or we would have heard of a lot more of that happening. Many people have electric heat, though for my own comfort, I would need a humidifier for my own well being let alone a guitar.

I have heard from members who have had guitars damaged by moisture or heat in a very short amount of time. It has never happened to me but, a little prevention couldn't hurt. My house is full of plants and pet water dishes so I don't have a humidity problem either way but, I can't speak for all our members.

ctrlaltf    0

Hey Nutty.

That was exactly what I was looking for.

However the article does not specify WHERE the bag go.

Just outside on top of the cracks as in picture?

I am using the bag to cover the soundhole.

Nutty    1

He says in the article that if the guitar is really dry, he hangs the guitar on the wall and puts the baggie inside. Of course you have to monitor the humidity. If it is not too dry he stashes the bag under the headstock or in-between the neck heel and case (if there's room).

Hope that helps.

Nutty

Lcjones    8
Its a Cordoba Classical guitar Model cp110.

I did buy it in winter, and its 3 months old.

(and yeah... I do use an electric heater as well as the radiator in NYC).

Not only that..they didn't want the guitar back!

So now I will have an extra guitar.

I can live with that. :D

However I am hoping It can be fixed.

That worked, didn't it! ;)

Ask a local guitar repair shop about having "cleets" installed to keep the crack from speading.

BDon23    0

I have a breedlove acoustic, full body no cutaways, with pearl running along the outside. Last night i dropped it and the there are four or five small cracks running an inch up, and one running around three to four inches up on right under the left side of the bridge. Should this really effect the sound, do I need to get it fixed or does this just add color. I've been playing since 2000 and if this was my electric I would be fine with it, but just wondering?