frewgosh

Which guitarist do you currently admire most

rocketman    0

Eric Johnson, but he hasn't released anything new lately. And it'd be really cool to hear some acoustic stuff from him.

Eric Clapton, I can't believe he took up guitar so late. Didn't he start in college or something?

My list is weird, but here are some dudes I also like alot.

Dave Matthews, Hendrix, Warren Buffet.

...and the new favorite... drumroll pls. PRINCE. Did you see that Superbowl halftime show?! Wow! What a stage presence this guy has!

nostraits    0

There is a guitarist that plays in our City Centre and sells his own CD's, called Al Marconi. He keeps getting prosecuted for selling his CD's in the street. Other performers sell theirs but it seems only he is prosecuted. It's not for his lack of talent, because he is brilliant, IMO. He played for us at my wife's 50th birthday.

Hands down I'd have to say Robert Johnson. He had such a raw style, you couldnt help to be attracted to it. I picked up the guitar for the first time when I heard him do the dead shrimp blues.

Europa    0

One of the greatest things is sharing your knowledge of guitar with others. For example I can love to listen to Jimi Hendrix, but it won't help me play. :dunno:

Kirk on the other hand has helped other people develop guitar skills and love for music, which is a huge achievement, and that for me might outweigh all others :)

Thanks.

D-Dawn    0

I have an uncle who has played for over 40 years and still amazes me everytime I hear him. He's the type of guy that could have been a star but didn't want it. 40 years and still practices daily and learns new things...

WI_Newbie    0

Who do I admire most. My friend's Uncle Fred. He was blinded at age 15 in a chemical accident. As he describes it he felt sorry for himself for a couple years and than decided to try the guitar.

While he isn't a master shredder he is a very talented player who can play almost any style. I never miss an opportunity to play guitar with him. He's about 62-63 years old.

duane allman for sure and jerry garcia. But I also just saw skynyrd on saturday and it was amazing, while yes it is 3 guitarists playing their songs how they play together so well and mesh was awesome.

Andy S    9

Ok, not in any particular order:

John Mayer

Phil Keaggy

Joe Bonamassa

Joe Pass

Clapton

Kirk Lorange (not just saying it 'cause this is his site!!!

he's Excellent!)

Santana

Jonny Lang

SRV

Wes Montgomery

Herb Ellis

I listen to a lot of stuff

P-90    1

Eric Clapton, I can't believe he took up guitar so late. Didn't he start in college or something?

He started when he was 13, and by the time he was 18 he was already in The Yardbirds. He was a few months past his 21st birthday when Cream made their first public appearance.

There's room in my list for him anyway.

If I discount relatives, Santana has to be at the top of the list for being such a genuinely and completely nice guy. Barry Melton fits into that category, too.

Others would be Hendrix, Townshend, Beck, Page, Gilmour, Zappa, Peter Green, Duane Allman and John Cipollina, with honorable mentions to Jorma Kaukonen, Randy California, George Harrison, John Lennon, Dick Dale and Jerry Garcia. Semi-honorable mention to Alvin Lee for making everyone think he was blindingly fast when 90% of what he played was based on barre chords.

But the list wouldn't be complete without a nod towards the blues background to all of that other music, so B.B. and Albert King need to fit in there as well, along with Muddy Waters, and all those guys from Son House to Robert Johnson that brought the music along.

There's no way I could pick just one! :rockon:

Myrdhinn    0

I've ever seen Alvin Lee use 90% barre chords in his solo's which is where he got teh moniker "fastest guitarist in the west" in the 60s. He used lot of jazz runs which no one else was doing at the time but he was a great fan of jazz players. The fact is at that time, he was blazingly fast. And if people like Clapton etc were asked the question, they'd say the same thing. They all new each other from the London scene and would reguarly be in the audience of each others shows.