frewgosh

Which guitarist do you currently admire most

frewgosh    0

I try to avoid who is best etc because it seems a futile question to ask. So I think the question I want to ask is: Which guitarist do you currently admire most?

The person who irons my soul out is Kelly Joe Phelps. He is self-effacing and humble, but he has a talent that is rooted in genius.

Check him out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7iCM_nECEg

wcostley    0

I really haven't heard enough different modern day guitarists to give an opinion yet, but I sure enjoyed listening to Kelly Joe Phelps, I took a liking to him before he even started playing.

Thanks,

Skip

Lcjones    8

I admire anyone who picks up the guitar and spends the time to learn and play what is in their heart.

Now, if it's who influences me the most it would be a short list.

scott58    0

I've been a fan of eddie van halen since i first heard him play back in the 70's, but there have been many others that I enjoyed listening to. Now that i'm learning how to play I admire anyone who can no matter what style it is.

SlickCat    1

I admire anyone who dedicates thier time to perfect an art. There are just so many great guitar players and so many more comming up. I really couldnt pick just one. :dunno: But I love to listen to talented people play.

Music is emotion..sad,angry,love,laughter...

eddiez152    129

I admire the folks here along with their abilities to play and assemble songs, or try so hard to do so. For the one's that paid their dues by their dedication to this thing called guitar playing. Some better than others, but all trying.

eddiez

DeeDee    0

Admire most? I really like John Mayer. I don't know some people might be cringing but I think he's a wicked guitarist- forget the celebrity status. He's not that well known in the UK.

He's the main reason I picked up the guitar just fascinated that someone was making this incerdaible music from a simple instrument.

Another guy that just blows my mind is Trace Bundy.....I think I had my mouth open for a week when I saw what he could do.

frewgosh    0

thanks for the thoughts on this one. I agree with the sentiment that suggests admiration for anyone who puts the time in and plays from the heart. I wish you all good fortune in your musical endeavours and thanks for the advice over the period.

wcostley    0

It was just his demeanor, the way he told the story about the river I guess, I'm not really sure just what it was but I just took a liking to him, the way you described him was right on.

Skip

coldethyl    0

For me it's a rather tough question to answer because there are many guitarists that I admire.

Like Les, if the question related to influences etc then I'd have to include guitarists such as Peter Frampton, EVH, Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tommy Emmanuel, Mike Bloomfield, George Harrison, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads, who have each at some stage in my life had an impact on my playing and reason for taking up the guitar in the first place.

I guess for various reasons I do admire each and every one of them for their individual talents and abilities, although that admiration is limited to their skill on the guitar and not necessarily them as people per se. (for example, EVH whom I admire and respect as a guitarist but not necessarily him as a person)

fly135    5

Back in the 70's I was awestruck by Allan Holdsworth and listened to everything I could find. But today I'd say that David Gilmore's melodic and flowing style is what I'd like to be able to emulate if I could ever acquire the skills. Seeing him front up PF with both guitar and vocals puts him as a favorite for me.

Stratrat    0
Which guitarist do you currently admire most?

You mean besides our own Kirk? :yes:

I've really been getting into country guitar lately, so Brad Paisley is probably at the top of the heap for me right now.

raybaro    0

I truly admire Marty Friedman. He can play anything, neoclassical, blues, enka (with a guitar) and other styles. He seems to have a great attitude. When I first listen to one of his solos I was in complete shock; it changed my life.