Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/v/MPh9_gFH7t4

#2 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

I guess we can now agree that an investment in a quality instrument has more to offer than just a money issue. Which has been expressed many times of this site.
We must make investments within our budget's or desire's and not have to defend our choices.
Some have said that the sound of an instrument is subjective to the ear of each person, this may be true to a some degree.
Trained players knows the differance. Thats why James Taylor plays a Olson for 20K
Ed Gerhard - a Breedlove and Kirk a - Palm etc.
No body should put down anyone's personal choices. Guitars are like people, they all have their own unique presentation.

Lets exclude the hard of hearing
eddiez
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

I posted this to show players why that extra bit of cash for a solid top is worth it. The price jump from a laminate to a solid top is not that great.

#4 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

allthumbs,
Yes I know, it was an excellant post for sure and quite the truth. Guitar voice and construction does take experience and is a fact. One can feel the top resonate at different points of the top. Production guitars usually have a generic construction within proven and tested guide lines. Until to get into the high end stuff. But as I once stated in a earlier post. "WE ALL LOVE OUR GUITARS" and each person must make their own decision.
YouToo - you can bet on it. that was good huh!
allthumbs - your right, it does not take much to go the extra step.
No bad rapping, please !!!
eddiez
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   namiguShin

• Active Members
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 09-November 05

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:00 AM

Does anybody know who is this guy and where was he talking this? Is this a lecture or something...? Allthumbs?

Edit: Oh, I just clicked on the video and got the answer... :)

#6 OFFLINE   Chris C

• Active Members

• 204 posts
  • Joined 09-January 07

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:18 AM

:)

Terrific! Now I have the perfect reason why my playing doesn't always sound so great. My guitar remembers all that time I spent as a really bad beginner and thinks that is the way it's supposed to sound.... :reallymad: I'm actually playing superbly now, but the guitar is holding us back.... That must be it.... :yes:

Although the guy's speech did sound a bit like guitar maker's voodoo, I have a friend who I'm sure would agree. He used to play in a classical duo with a fellow musician (both Conservatorium trained) and they both had the same model guitars. They'd been hand built by a very well repected Australian luthier. Both players were very sensitive to the tone and sound of their guitars. But the fun started when they tried swapping instruments. Despite the fact that they were the same make and model, neither guy could apparently get the quality of sounds from each other's guitars that the owner could. It certainly seems to fit with what the guy in the video was suggesting.

Interesting....

Cheers,

Chris
"There is no magic secret, other than loving the process of learning and putting in the time."

Quote shamelessly stolen from ColoradoFenderBender at Guitarnoise.

#7 OFFLINE   juslikeplayin

• Active Members
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 25-December 06

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

Very interesting AT.Thank you for posting this.

#8 OFFLINE   budalger

Newcomer

• Active Members

• 4 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

Wow. MAkes you think!

#9 OFFLINE   X4StringDrive

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 04-March 07

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

Yes, very thought provokeing, I'm by no means an expert in anything other than eating, but I somehow find that placing your guitar next to some speakers is magically going to improve the over-all sound a little hard to swallow. Yes I believe a solid top sounds better, but my line of thinking leans towards that of borrowing someone elses car for the first time, sure it handles different than what your accustomed to, but givin time it becomes comfortable to you. Same with giutars.. if you like it and stay with it, it is going to feel and play much better than something new to you.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know:dunno:

#10 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

Chris,
Based on what you just wrote, I think I'll Let my guitars listen to Leo Kottke, Ed Gerhard, and few others so they can remember how they should really sound. Ring tones of wood is a fact not voodoo. Its all in the vibrations. Check this out if you'd like. Many of us here have heard the term "Guitar sounds better with age." or "broke in"
http://www.warmoth.c...s_bodywoods.cfm
eddiez

#11 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

Ok folks here's some added reading material
http://www.acousticg...vibration.shtml

#12 OFFLINE   X4StringDrive

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 04-March 07

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for that eddiez, kinda opens my mind to the idea some, but would be nice to see some follow up since that was from a decade ago. Please don't take that wrong, it does make me wonder more on the subject. I'm not closed minded on this, just an interesting concept thats all.

#13 OFFLINE   Chris C

• Active Members

• 204 posts
  • Joined 09-January 07

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

eddiez152 said:

Ok folks here's some added reading material
http://www.acousticg...vibration.shtml

Thanks Eddiez, you saved me the bother of searching again. :winkthumb:

I remember reading about this some years back and - as I have have worked with wood quite a lot over the years - I thought it was an interesting idea.

At the time, the results seemed to suggest that something was happening, but it didn't seem to be controllable enough to be all that useful in practice. Naturally enough, the people who felt that they could hear or feel an improvement were reported. Some felt that there either wasn't a lot of change, or that the change was simply change and not necessarily an improvement.

The task seemed to be to develop the 'art' in such a way that you could control what was being done, not just make some sort of alleged change. So far as I know this hasn't really got all that far yet. That article is ten years old and, as far as I know, the idea hasn't been widely adopted yet. It would be easy enough for all makers to stick their guitars in a tone generator as part of the manufacturing process, but I don't think that's generally done. This is possibly because the difference is not large enough or controllable enough to be worthwhile. And perhaps the players who can hear a difference might like to do their own 'breaking in' anyway.

There's nothing new in this sort of exploration. Musicians and scientists have for centuries been trying to work out the details of why violins made by certain people such as Stradivarius seem to age better than others. Wine makers also know that some wines age better than others, and they put a fair bit of effort into working out ways of speeding the process up.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that if you accept that the properties of wood can be changed by age and use (which is clearly correct in its way) then you also have to accept that the change is not automatically going to be an improvement. Nor is it necessarily going to keep getting better and not start going backwards again as the wood loses its ability to be flexible. Some instruments just get 'old'.

Folklore says that people get wiser with age (in fact many stay just as stupid as they always were, and some get even stupider...) and it's somewhat the same with anything made of wood. You hope to get a gem that ages into a treasure, but reality says you may also just end up with an old guitar, no matter how you play it. I'm still hopeful though, and I think the research is worthwhile and interesting. :)

Cheers,

Chris
"There is no magic secret, other than loving the process of learning and putting in the time."

Quote shamelessly stolen from ColoradoFenderBender at Guitarnoise.

#14 OFFLINE   TwistedLefty

• Active Members
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

me<--- setting up my guitars on stands next to my speakers and cranking Tommy E. !!!
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- H. L. Mencken (1880?1956)

#15 OFFLINE   Mattguitar64

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 11-May 07

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Whoa, very interesting video :D
I wonder if the same goes for electric guitar.

#16 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

Very interesting. Thanks
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#17 OFFLINE   justinthyme

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined 12-December 05

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

YouToo said:

That's very interesting and a great post Marty, I liked especially the last point of putting it beside your music system speakers, makes perfect sense when you think about it :winkthumb:

Presumably not rap! :D
Ian

#18 OFFLINE   tg

• Active Members

• 59 posts
  • Joined 04-August 05

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Please dont tell my wife but I treated myself yesterday to a Martin OM 41 Special, ( dont worry she has what she wants ) What a great guitar, Its so loud. It is now sitting in front of my speakers Listening to great music and hoping it will sound even better.
Ta Tony.

#19 OFFLINE   edhotmail

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 17-October 07

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:48 AM

that's sooo cool! wow ill keep that in mind before i buy my next acoustic guitar. :thumbup1:
"
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else. "

#20 OFFLINE   felixdcat

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Joined 03-March 07

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Ok, no more messing around, only melody allowed from now on. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users