Tekker

Community Mix

solidwalnut    5
Yah I was watching that show about Tom Dowd, and there's that one scene where he's fooling around with the original tracks to Layla - man that would be fun to sit with awhile, wouldn't it?

Oh yah! That'd be a blast.

solidwalnut    5
Downloaded it, so I guess its time to try all this out. No clue what to do yet, but gotta start somwhere.

This was just to listen to and see if you like it enough to give the raw tracks a go in a mix.

Tekker    1
Downloaded it, so I guess its time to try all this out. No clue what to do yet, but gotta start somwhere.

Yes, this is just so everyone could hear the whole song.

When we're ready to give the mixing thing a go, I'll post each track individually. Then you'll load them all into a recording program (such as Kristal, Reaper, etc.) onto separate tracks. This way you will be able to adjust the volume and effects on each track separately from the others.

I made a mistake before, there are only 11 tracks (not 14 as I mentioned above) they are as follows:

1: Vocal

2: Acoustic Guitar (DI)

3: Acoustic Gutiar (Miked)

4: Violins

5: Timpany

6: Conga

7: Tamborine

8: Reversed Cymbol

9: Outro Strings

10: Drums

11: Electric Bass

So there will be a lot of elements to mix.

I PM'd him yesterday and as soon as he gives the OK, I'll upload all the tracks. :)

-tkr

eddiez152    129

How about something you can whistle to, got something easier. Like 4-6 tracks just kidding. But that means we can change vocals or instruments, or add in something ourselves ?

Tekker    1
How about something you can whistle to, got something easier. Like 4-6 tracks just kidding.

You can whistle to that song, I do it all the time. :D

The layout is actually rather simple... At one time there is never any more than 7 tracks playing. Here is a screen shot of the layout of the project.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/zPosts/xfinsterx%20PMC10%20Project.jpg

But that means we can change vocals or instruments, or add in something ourselves ?

If you want to have fun with it and add things to it, you can definitely do that.

But the main goal for this is to be able to get mixing advice from others on the forum. With everyone using the same tracks and effects it will remove the "gear factor" from the equation to a certain degree.... Of course, everyone will have different speakers and acoustic treatments in their rooms (which will affect the mixing process) but there's not much we can do about that unfortunately.

The idea is to have a "hands on" mixing guide, where everyone does a mix and then compares with others. The best way to learn this stuff is by doing.... then doing again, and again.... :winkthumb:

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Thanks Tekker for the post link on the recording site. Definitly good reading as to understand some of the different terms begin used. I appreciate all the work going into this.

Tekker    1

Well, I still haven't heard back from him yet.... I've PM'd, emailed, and posted a message for him on the forum in the off topic area. :dunno:

Since it's just for fun I doubt he'd mind........ We just won't tell him that I'm charging everyone $20 per track to download them. That'll be our little secret. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Tekker    1
Ok, downloaded the .mp3, but can't get it to open in Kristal for some reason... any suggestions? :dunno:

Hey Dewy,

Kristal does not support mp3's. So you'll have to use an mp3 to wave converter such as Switch to convert it to a wave file. Then it can be imported into Kristal.

Are you wanting to mix the tune or just listen to it? If you want to mix it, you won't be able to do any mixing to the mp3 file, because it is already mixed down. If you would like to mix this tune, you'll need to download the zip file that contains the individual wave files for each track.

Go HERE and click on the the link that says "Download The Tracks Here". These files are what you will want to load into Kristal..... Although I recommend using Reaper instead of Kristal for this as Kristal has a lot of limitations.

Reaper is a fully functional demo version that will never expire, but he says that if you continue using Reaper to purchase it. It's only $40 though, which is litterally DIRT CHEAP for what this program can do. It has the best bang for the buck out of any recording program I've used..... And I've used a lot of them. ;)

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

Dewy    0

Having a lot of difficulty with the Kristal at the moment... I need to look into the Reaper Me Thinks.

Thanks for the reminder about file formats... I knew that... where was it when I needed to remember it?