Forums

1. Guitar Lessons Forum

1. New to the guitar? Please read this before posting.   (240,390 visits to this link)

2. Tune your guitar - Free online guitar tuner.   (11,267 visits to this link)

3. 2,317

This is the place to ask your PlaneTalk pre-sales questions, read the Testimonials and get the answers to your FAQs.

2. Guitar For Beginners & Beyond General Forum

1. What's Going On?

All announcements about the Guitar For Beginners & Beyond site and forum will be posted here.

New to the forum? Don't be a stranger. Introduce yourself here.

The mechanics of playing guitar. Discuss and ask questions about styles and techniques here.

The structure of music and theory. Ask your questions here. Songwriting threads can also be posted here.

Here is the place to ask questions and discuss the the art of improvising.

The place to discuss guitars, amps, effects, gear in general.

Post your questions or tips on your home studio setup here. Want to record your guitar? Ask your questions here.

The place to talk music and musicians. Share what you like, what you're enjoying listening to at the moment etc.

1. 2,181

1. Members' Recordings - Let's hear you!

Post your recordings here for feedback. Covers must be hosted off site.

Get advice on how to improve your playing. This is a good place for beginners to get feedback on how they are progressing.

Looking to collaborate with other members, get involved here. It's a great way to improve on your playing skills.

This is the place to download backing tracks, add a track and re-upload for all to hear.

• Recent Status Updates

• Hi JanVigne!  Thank You so much for your response! I've a brief idea on how to adjust a crack on wood, I need some idea to adjust this kind of material's, expecially about the matte dark grey finish (it's a kind of synthetic material). I will try to contact Yamaha but I'm pretty sure they will answer me to get to an autorized repair shop (not worth of it in my opinion). Thank You again!
    • You first have to examine the crack from the inside of the guitar to ascertain just what damage has been done.  Given the construction of your guitar, you should know whether the crack extends to the inside of the guitar body. Once that's done, you repair a crack in this guitar as you would any other guitar.  You will need clamps and cleats and a material specific glue.  Once you pull the crack together, you may not need any filler unless you are being very picky.   Contact Yamaha, they are typically a helpful company.  They may have, or can recommend, a resin specific adhesive.  From the photos, the  crack should largely disappear once the repair has been made. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+repair+a+cracked+guitar&rlz=1CAACAJ_enUS705US705&oq=how+to+repair+a+cracked+guitar&aqs=chrome..69i57.10012j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    • Hi everyone! I like your forum and I read it constantly but this is my first attempt to post something. I apologize for my english but it's not my mother tongue. Now that's the topic: I am restoring an old Yamaha apxt1n and I'm searching for some suggestions, maybe some of You can help me in my mission. There is a crack on the body starting from the strap knob on the bottom of the body. It does not affect the playability or the overall state but I want to repair it avoiding future problems. I have some questions for You:  1) Does anyone know which kind of material the body is made of? (Inside is wood, outside it seems some kind of resin/composite) 2) Can someone please advise me how can it could be repaired? (Maybe some kind of filler / compound resin) 3) Can someone give me some tips on how to proceed?   Thank you so much for your support and patience, I think this could be a good repair topic for anyone searching for the internet.  
    • Hi, Andrevn. I don't mind if you post a recording here. If someday someone writes and tells us to remove for copyright reasons, we'll remove it. I forgot that people still record, these days it's always videos being posted. In any case posting snippets of well known tunes shouldn't bother anybody, certainly not me. And it would fall under 'education purposes' anyway. Go for it. (By the way, you can post at YouTube and mark them 'Unlisted' when you upload. That way they don't show up in any searches and remain under the radar. Only people with a link to them can view them. For future reference ...) That Purple rain intro, I believe, is Bb(add9) to Gm to F(add9) to Eb . 
    • Hi all, if you don't mind, Im going to do one long reply. Reason, I came to our family holiday house on the farm, in the mountains. Isolated, totally private, no internet (doing a quick hotspot connect to read and send this). So Carol, yeah, last night was actually one of those nights you talked about. Ending with me sitting under stars, fire close by and practicing on Kirks Moonlight Serenade lesson! Stronger than moonshine indeed. Yes and Hard Days Night is one of many on that topic. I was only teasing about "never been done before". Do you know/remember Smoke in a Factory Groove by Albert Hammond. The best lyric "I was born a lover, not a worker. Money doesn't smell like sweet perfume"! Oldstrummer, what is purple rain anyway? To me it conjures up the scene in Apocalypse Now, with the boat going up the river, a purple haze all around and The Doors' This is the End playing. By the way, I love the opening chord and the progression on Prince's PR, some kind of Bb (I know, I should work out the name, too lazy, I know the shape!). Rockerbob, I agree with your take. That's why I refer to my approach as more haphazard. I dont go to the trouble of finding the best shapes to be able to do the full baseline, thus end up playing the melody and picking any of the related notes on the chord as accompaniment. I therefore lose out a little bit on the whole. But it does allow for easier and sweeter picking, for me. I struggle picking nice sounding notes when having to play a full barre say on the seventh fret. The notes don't ring as true as like for example playing an E, fourth fret D shape, with the pinky playing the high B on the sixth string 7th fret. As I menioned, thats why I am so chuffed with Kirks lessons, I get to fix some of my errors, find different ways to play. Kirk thanks for the expalnation (and funny story!). I understand and accept the position. My need though is not to post to YouTube. I don't want all and sundry to have a look and comment, I am more private than that. I would have loved though to be able to, like above, instead of writing of an approach to a specific section, do a quick recording of that and share with forum members. Like a more private conversation, or a chat room with visuals. Anyway, Im not complaining and happy as is. Thanks all for the chats. Going to return to my mountain escape now. Enjoy the weekend.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    colorful

There are no users currently in the chat room